Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Slugs for the H&R Ultra Slugger

Old 02-28-2007, 07:15 PM

Default Slugs for the H&R Ultra Slugger

I just bought a 12 gauge H&R Ultra Slugger and was wondering what slugs were good to shoot out of them. And also if anyone could give me a review about what they think about the H&R.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:35 AM

Default RE: Slugs for the H&R Ultra Slugger

Congrats, the Ultra Slug Hunter is a great deer gun. I bought one last season. I have found that the Winchester Sabots 385 Grains shot the best for me. The Horoady SST are lighter and have more velocity but did not group as good for me. From a bench the Winchester's at 100 yards fell into a 2 inch group.
I shot my first deer with a gun with the slug hunter at 115 yards. He fell like a sac of potatoes. I have a Nikon 9x32 scope, just the $100 model on the gun. It's clear enough for me.
Enjoy!
Old 03-01-2007, 02:25 PM

Mine likes the winchester platinum tips. My gun doesn't seem to like any of the light fast ammo. If I stay around 1700 fps or so it does ok. It will shoot just about anything well at 50-75 yards, but at 100 it gets pretty picky.

Excellent guns for the money, I love mine. My only regret is I wish I would have gotten a 20 ga instead. It just seems like the better gun in this model.

Paul
Old 03-01-2007, 08:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

My 12 can touch groups at 100 yards (and +)with 3-inch Brenneke Gold Magnums and 2-3/4-inchHeavy Field Magnums. No matter how much I try I cannot do this with any of the "fast" sabot slug offerings, although I have not tried the Brenneke Super Sabots (and really have no reason to).I get better accuracy from Remingtom Sluggers than the "fast" sabots. The fast sabots do OK with groups at 50-75 yards, but boy do they open up after that.

Putting most of a box of Brennekes on a paper plate at 150 isn't really difficult from the bench either.

You're gonna love the Slugger - it won't let you down.

We've got two locked up here. A 12 Deluxe and a 20 standard. I guess they are bothwhat anyone would consider a "tack driver" of a slug gun.

And the flash the 12 pushes out the muzzle with those 3-inchers? INCREDIBLE! Really a rush to have the heat wash over you shooting into the wind.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:02 PM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

HR a friend of mine has one with the bull barrel, that darn thing just loves hornaday sst's.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:55 AM

Mine groups the gold magnums around 4 inches at 100 yards for about 4 shots, then really opens up.

I can shoot 3 shot groups that touch with winchester rifled slugs though. What a mess it makes in the barrel though[:'(].

Paul
Old 03-02-2007, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lightfield Hybred EXP seemed to be dandy for me in the past. Also the SST's were very good. However, I'm now only gun hunting in a rifle area, so the H&R Slug Hunter will soon be on the auction block. That heavy bull barrel does shoot great though. Anybody lookin' for one... get in contact with me for a good deal. Good luck.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:33 PM

I have heard the Hornadays are suppose to be good. I might try those.
How much are the Winchesters?
Old 03-02-2007, 08:36 PM

Yeah a guy I work with got a 20 gauge. I will find out how it shot Monday. Everyone is telling me I should have got the 20. I wonder what the difference is?
I noticed that it is harder to find 12 gauge shells then it is 20.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:39 PM

I have not heard much about the Brenneke slugs. I did see them. I think they were the K.O slugs. They were not sabots though. I thought you couldn't shoot non-sabot slugs out of a rifled barrel. The remingtons are not sabots then either? There is so many choices out there. Im not sure yet what scope I am going to get. Once I get that figured out then I will start figuring out what slugs to get.

Quick Reply: Slugs for the H&R Ultra Slugger

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.