Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need 243 ammo advice

Old 03-03-2007, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need 243 ammo advice

zrexpilot,
Are these pictures from a gun with extreme velocity. I've hunted with a 243 for over 30 years, have hanloaded as well as used factory ammo. I never see explosive open wounds like in your picute. I use standard bullets, not "tough-constructed" or super-soft either. Middle of the road bullets in teerms of construction and moderate velocities. Ususally 100 gr bulllets in the 2700 - 2800 fps neighborhood.

Just wondering b/c you've posted pictures like this before and it is contrary to my experiences.

Mind you, I'm not looking to duplicate your results, cuz my dead deer seem to be just as dead without the big holes.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 8mm/06

zrexpilot,
Are these pictures from a gun with extreme velocity. I've hunted with a 243 for over 30 years, have hanloaded as well as used factory ammo. I never see explosive open wounds like in your picute. I use standard bullets, not "tough-constructed" or super-soft either. Middle of the road bullets in teerms of construction and moderate velocities. Ususally 100 gr bulllets in the 2700 - 2800 fps neighborhood.

Just wondering b/c you've posted pictures like this before and it is contrary to my experiences.

Mind you, I'm not looking to duplicate your results, cuz my dead deer seem to be just as dead without the big holes.
That particular pic was using federal factory ammo 100 gr sierra gamekings. I dont always get holes like that, most the time its just an in and out hole the size of a pencil, but sometimes it happens, this one was hit in the spine and I guess the bullet just exploded taking everything out and leaving this hole. Some of the neck shots I do also leave holes like that. This same weekend we took a coyote as well using the gamekings, it left a bigger hole in it than the one in this pic, dont know why I dont have a pic of that one.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:02 PM

You could hunt everything that needs to be hunted with a .243 using the 100 gr. Sierra. I have a slight preference for the flatbase Prohunter over the Gameking - they seem just a little bit tougher. This bullet kills coyotes well and usually doesn't tear them up too bad. Have also used them on deer and antelope with good results. Even shot two cow elk with it. Center lung shot broadside - on the ground is under six seconds. Another great all around bullet is the 85 gr. Sierra HPBT Gameking.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

zrexpilot and roskoe,
Thanks for the replies. I also find that vanilla style bullets in modest velocities are all thats needed for most deer. I did take one pretty large buck once, and even though the placement seemed perfect, and even thought the deer only went about 16 yards, I was unnerved about the bullet completely coming apart and I wasn't able pieces much bigger than a match-head. The deer was plenty dead and quickly too....it's just when the bullet came apart so much I started to second guess the round's ability on heavier size deer.
I still carry the 243 for much of my hunting, but when I get into the bear woods, or am after a particular deer with very sizeable tracks, I will carry my 6.5 X 55, 30/06 or 8mm/06.