Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Mauser action Recommendations

Old 02-27-2007, 12:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Mauser action Recommendations

What recommendations do you have for Large Ring Mausers still on the market today that could be used for 8mm/06 AI.

I know that many reloading books give 37,000 as the max CUP for the 8X57 while and the max CUP for the 30/06 is around 60,000 ... I'm guessing this is based on the reloading industy's fear of somebody pushing bullets out too fast in an old and tired action/rifle...

So, in a strong Mauser action (recommendations?) wouldn't one be able to take the pressures up well beyond the 37,000 for a 8mm/06 AI round? And is so, what actions do you recommend that are out there to be purchased for under $200.00, either action alone or entire 8 X 57 rifle with decent bore?
Old 02-27-2007, 12:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Mauser action Recommendations

I would choose the 98 Mauser Action.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Rebel Hog,
I was already decided on a 98, and maybe I should have made that more clear.
I'm looking for direction on any specific models, ... for instance, Czech model # ?, or Yugo # ?, or particular arsenal productions with specific markings.
I know plenty about the basic designs of the 98, but am a little ignorant about the specific productions of different countries and which ones are prized as stronger than others.
I'm not looking for any ULTIMATE strength models necessarily, just hoping to steer clear of any models that have a histroy of weakness or brittleness.
Any and all suggestions welcomed.
John
Old 02-27-2007, 01:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Czech VZ-24, 92/22 or 98/29 actions- all are the same and all are pretty much the standard other 98 actions are judged by. A 1909 Argy is just as good if not better, and comes with a hinged floorplate, but they aren't as easy to find.

try here: http://samcoglobal.com/rifles.htmlgo about 1/2 way down the page to Persian 98/29. They have barrelled actions for around $180. I bought one of these rifles about 5 years ago, its absolutely beautiful and as well made as any Swedish mauser.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:33 AM

VZ 24's are nice and still fairly plentiful. Stay away from Yugo's. They're not well built.
Also, look for commercial 98'sin pawn shops and gun shops. I'm still finding JC Higgins, Sears, etc, that have really fineFN commercial 98 receivers or Husqvarna small ring 98's.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a nearly-new M1924 FNVenezuelan in 7X57mm that no doubt would work very well. But it is such a nice rifle in its' present caliber that I would never consider changingit.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:53 AM

Eldequello,
I've been in the same situation. My most recent one is a Steyr 1912 Chilean. I've had a few Argentine's and Mexican's that were also near perfect. It was hard to do it at first, but I finally admitted I had no use for any of them in their original configuration. They've made some super nice hunting rifles! The 1912 receiveris on the bench now with a new bolt handle, smoothed bridge, squared ring, recess's, and lugs,and base holes.

I really wish I had a good Siamese right now. I've got an itch to build up a 45-70 pig gun.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

It was hard to do it at first, but I finally admitted I had no use for any of them in their original configuration.
If you knew what anArgie sells for in good condition, you could sell it and buy just about any action you want with the money and have money to spare. Nothing like cutting up a $700-800 rifle to make one that's worth a few hundred less- and that's if you do outstanding workmanship.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:41 AM

Thanks Briman. I wish I had you around to make all my decisions for me. Maybe when I start building garbage riflesin the price range you mentioned, I'll ask for your phone number. Even better, since it bothers you so much, I'll post pics everytime I pull the receiver off a useless 98.
ORIGINAL: Briman

It was hard to do it at first, but I finally admitted I had no use for any of them in their original configuration.
If you knew what anArgie sells for in good condition, you could sell it and buy just about any action you want with the money and have money to spare. Nothing like cutting up a $700-800 rifle to make one that's worth a few hundred less- and that's if you do outstanding workmanship.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Geez, people here get their panties wadded up in a bunch over nothing

Quick Reply: Mauser action Recommendations

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.