Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What slug gun for kids ?

Old 02-26-2007, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What slug gun for kids ?

I live in IL, which allows shotguns loaded with slugs as the only long gun for deer. [:@]Too much flat land, I guess.

Moving is not an option right now, and I have a 4 year old daughter that wants to hunt deer with me in the next few years.

I hunt deer with bow and gun, and the minimums legal for deer are 20 gauge and 40 pound draw. I figure she'll be able to shoot the gun beforeshe getsbig enough to pull the bow, so I'm looking into guns now that might be good.

Have you ever successfully setup a kid with a slug gun?
I'm thinking 20 gauge semiauto to tame the recoil, and because of the long reach required by a pump.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What slug gun for kids ?

I know both mossberg and remington make youth models, 870 youth from remington and bandit from mossberg.

870 is the same 870 pump adults used, just scaled down. Bandit is a model 500 pump, scaled down. The bandit comes with (well it did when my son bought his) a certificate to help upgrade to a full sized 500.

The bandit slug barrel is ported to reduce recoil and both come with recoil pads.

they are both awesome guns for youths.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Either Remington or Mossberg youth models would be fine choices. Also there aresingle shot 20 gauges made by NEF (New England Firearms) with a rifled barrel and scope mounts from the factory. Muzzle loadersis also a option as far as long guns for Illinois. I just got one myself so I don't feel comfortable making recommendations for something I haven't hunted with yet myself, get more experienced guys thoughts on those. Take a serious look at the 20 gauge single shots though. Good luck
Old 02-26-2007, 01:10 PM
Fork Horn

I have a remington 870 in 20 gauge and the gun is exellent for deer hunting. The kick for a 20 gauge isnt bad but its not like a .22 either as long as she is waering apad of some sort it should be no problem. The remington also comes in youth models
good luck,
Old 02-26-2007, 01:21 PM
Dominant Buck

500® Bantam™ & 505 Youth™ Series

HOME >

Firearms >500® Bantam™ & 505 Youth™ Series

Built to Last. Built with the Beginner Shooter in Mind.For more than a decade, the Mossberg® 500® pump-action shotgun has served as one of the most practical starter shotguns ever made. Now, with the same standards of quality, dependability, and safety in mind, shooters and hunters will find the 500® Super Bantam™ truly remarkable. Unequalled in practicality and loaded with custom-like features, these new pump-action shotguns provide an affordable opportunity for beginning and growing shooters to get started with a safe and reliable shotgun. The Mossberg® 500® Bantam™ is the choice of youngsters and smaller stature adults - from beginners to seasoned shooters alike. With the same standards of dependability and safety in mind, Mossberg® now offers the 500® Super Bantam™ 20-gauge pump. Like the 500® Bantam™ it is geared for young sportsmen and smaller framed shooters. Its superior versatility however, is what makes this gun truly "super." Here's how it works: The Super Bantam™ features a standard 12" length of pull (one full inch shorter than the standard Bantam™) and it comes with an innovative stock spacer and extra rubber recoil pad to bring the synthetic stock to 13" overall. When the shooter is ready for a full-sized length of pull, (14"+) just turn in the certificate that came in the box, for a full 50% off the price of the full-sized stock.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:44 PM

I got an 870 Remington Express 20 gauge combo (interchangable slug and shot barrels) for Christmas when I was 12. I'm 24 now and it's the only gun I've ever owned or used.

I've taken 3 deer with it including a 250 lb buck all downed in 1 shot, works great!
Old 02-26-2007, 07:45 PM

I would use a .410 they shoot alot further, ive never used one but ive heard that they are rifle like because the size and weight. Sounds like something i would try.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

410 is not legal in Illinois to hunt deer, minimum is 20 gauge.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bulzeye _ I won't give you no Bulzshiet.

H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (USG) in 20 gauge will ABSOLUTELY deliver thesmallest amount of recoil. NoIF's AND's or BUT's.

The gun will deliverfantastic accuacy andinstill great confidence in the shooter.

DON'T OVERLOOK (WASTE YOUR TIME) THIS ONE.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

500® Bantam™ & 505 Youth™ Series

HOME >

Firearms >500® Bantam™ & 505 Youth™ Series

Built to Last. Built with the Beginner Shooter in Mind.For more than a decade, the Mossberg® 500® pump-action shotgun has served as one of the most practical starter shotguns ever made. Now, with the same standards of quality, dependability, and safety in mind, shooters and hunters will find the 500® Super Bantam™ truly remarkable. Unequalled in practicality and loaded with custom-like features, these new pump-action shotguns provide an affordable opportunity for beginning and growing shooters to get started with a safe and reliable shotgun. The Mossberg® 500® Bantam™ is the choice of youngsters and smaller stature adults - from beginners to seasoned shooters alike. With the same standards of dependability and safety in mind, Mossberg® now offers the 500® Super Bantam™ 20-gauge pump. Like the 500® Bantam™ it is geared for young sportsmen and smaller framed shooters. Its superior versatility however, is what makes this gun truly "super." Here's how it works: The Super Bantam™ features a standard 12" length of pull (one full inch shorter than the standard Bantam™) and it comes with an innovative stock spacer and extra rubber recoil pad to bring the synthetic stock to 13" overall. When the shooter is ready for a full-sized length of pull, (14"+) just turn in the certificate that came in the box, for a full 50% off the price of the full-sized stock.
Ooops, I said Bandit, its bantam, that's what my younger son has! Great little gun.

They do kick a bit with slugs, but with trap loads, which we practice with the kids can shoot all day. Sighting in for deer or with 3" turkey loads they didn't like, but they have both (other son has 870 youth from remington) they don't feel a thing when shooting at animals. With these "kids" guns, they have taken 18,20 lb turkeys, button buck, several geese, lots of ducks. Everything falls stone dead, they are GREAT guns!

Quick Reply: What slug gun for kids ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.