Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Poll: What military bolt is best?

Old 02-26-2007, 03:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Poll: What military bolt is best?

springfield bar none. i have one and recently retired it from hunting when i was offered a large amount of money for it. i never knew the value of it until then.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

I tend to like the Springfield sights (just about anyvariation) better than the K98's, but the Mauser is a stronger rifle. The Springfield does fit me a little better, though, and since I can shoulder and aim it faster than the K98k, I'd go with the '03, whether for target shooting or hunting.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

8mm/06, you had a great post, but since you only have one vote please say which one you'd like to vote for.

James B, I'll put you down for the Swede, if you want me to change that, let me know.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DANTHEHUNTER

82A1 .50bmg Barrett
This thread is more about standard-issue bolt-actions, not special forces, so I'm afraid I'll have to not count your vote.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: snedd162

03 or enfield
Well? Which one?
Old 02-26-2007, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Briman, I put you down for the Swiss K-31, what cartridge did it fire?
Old 02-26-2007, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

7.5x55
Old 02-26-2007, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I have never shot any you listed but the 303 so I have no idea, but the strongest action I know is the 82A1 .50 bmg

Old 02-26-2007, 09:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: younggun243

I was thinking, I like the old WWI andWWII bolt-action guns, but which kind do you guys like the most and why? And which one wouldyou recommend for hunting?

Lee-Enfield, .303 British

Krag-Jorgensen, 30-40 Krag

Kar98 Mauser, 8mm Mauser?-1

Mosin Nagant, 7.62x54 Soviet

Model '03Springfield, 30-06 Springfield-4

Swedish Mauser, 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser-1

Swiss K-31, cal?-1

There's more that need to be added, but I don't know the official names,feel free to correct me if I'm wrong in the info I have up here, since I want the gun and cartidge's full title.
Also, if I'm missing some, or if your gun isn't up here, just let me know, and I'll update the tally as soon asI can.
Well, when describing the armament of the various nations in WWI, it was said that:

The Germans are armed with a hunting rifle (M98 Mauser)
The Americans are armed with a target rifle (M1903 Springfield)
And the British are armed with a fighting rifle!

No-one could think of the words to describe the P.O.S. the French were using!

There is no doubt that the SMLE of the British is the best, most effective combat BOLT ACTION rifle ever. But it leaves alot to be desired as a sporting weapon - you just can't really make a nice sporter out of it.

Both the M98 Mauser and the 1903 Springfield lend themselves very well to being turned into a high-grade sporting arm, and some real big bucks have been spent making one into atrue work of art that bears little resemblance to its military counterparts!

The Mauser is supposedly better than the Springfield as the basis for a sporting arm, (according to many of my custom gunsmith acquaintences, but I have handled some that were made from Springfields which were just superb weapons! Those Springfield sporting rifles built by Griffin & Howe, Paul Jaeger, Adolph Neidner, etc., come to mind.....
Old 02-26-2007, 10:39 AM

I'd go with the 03A3 if we're talking as issued and not "sporterized". The 30-06 offers a wide range of sporting ammo unlike most of the other military calibers. And the peep sights of the A3 are superior to the 03's sights. The 1917 would run a close second. It has a larger capacity, but we're talking hunting and not combat. Plus to me it's a little more bulky and doesn't handle as well. I do find the safety to be more user friendly than the A3's though.

Quick Reply: Poll: What military bolt is best?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.