Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Accuracy Hinge Pin for Encore?

Old 02-24-2007, 12:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default Accuracy Hinge Pin for Encore?

E Arthur Brown offers a Accuracy Hinge Pin. Has anyone used one and do they make that much of a difference?
Old 02-24-2007, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Accuracy Hinge Pin for Encore?

I have Bellm oversized hinge pins in all my Encores, and they do tighten up the action. As for accuracy, I really can't say. In my simple mind, with the scope connected to the barrel, a little "play" in the action should not effect the accuracy. If the scope was connected to the frame and the barrel was loose, then yes, I can see where there would be a great advantage to tightening up the action. Maybe someone smarter than me can shed some light on the subject.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had my forend piller bedded,that helped with the accuracy also...
Old 02-24-2007, 09:13 PM
bigcountry

Will it make a difference? Depends if you have a problem? If you have a loose pin now, an oversized pin will help. But, it has to be done properly. Not just push in a pin. You need a machinist/gunsmith to mill out your action hole, and then mill out the hole on your barrel to match perfectly. It should be tight enough you have to tap in. Mine was so loose, I could shake it out. So it helped me. I then had the forearm milled out and a hangar system put in to freefloat the forarme. Finally it went from a 2MOA gun to a consistently subMOA gun.

Old 02-24-2007, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I spent a good bit of time researching this exact same question. I decided to order the #1 oversized hinge pin from Bellm. I almost ordered the one from EABCO, but decided to go with the one from Bellm. IMO Bellm made the better argument for his product. Go to his web site, he discusses the hinge pins in depth. I do not have a shooting report, but I will. Tom.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:44 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

I spent a good bit of time researching this exact same question. I decided to order the #1 oversized hinge pin from Bellm. I almost ordered the one from EABCO, but decided to go with the one from Bellm. IMO Bellm made the better argument for his product. Go to his web site, he discusses the hinge pins in depth. I do not have a shooting report, but I will. Tom.
Guys it doesn't matter if you buy one from EABCO or Bellm, or have one made by your local machinisht as long it fits as it should. If you have a loose tolerance holein your action, and it slides in real easy, its not going to help. It has to be machined to match.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:25 PM
Fork Horn

The way it looked, the EABrown pin does not require milling by a gunsmith. The Bellm does.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:51 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: blackheel

The way it looked, the EABrown pin does not require milling by a gunsmith. The Bellm does.
Ok, well think about this. If you hole in the barrel that connects to your action via the hinge pin is larger than your hinge pin, how is a EAbrown, or whatever going to help you? How is it going to make your lockup tighter? What is it accomplishing?

Old 02-27-2007, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was getting 2" (at best) groups with factory ammo and 1.5" groups with my handloads out of my brand new Encore. I ordered the size one and two hinge pins from Bellm, along with the heavy duty lock-up spring. I put a caliper to the size 1 and found that it was the exact same size as my factory pin, so I went immediately to the size two, which was about .004" larger in diameter. Had to use a fair bit of CLP and a drift pin with mallet, but it went in pretty easy. Gun now shoots .750" as a standard with my handloands. Sweet trigger on the gun too that I had my smith do. All that was needed was a little moly and it was a perfect 2.5 #s, no travel, or overtravel at all. Great hunting trigger. I'm pleased with it.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: blackheel

I am not sure that we are talking about the same Bellm pins, but mine have not required gunsmithing. I have used #1 and #2 in my Encores.

Quick Reply: Accuracy Hinge Pin for Encore?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.