Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Accuracy Hinge Pin for Encore?

Old 02-27-2007, 07:53 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Accuracy Hinge Pin for Encore?

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

I was getting 2" (at best) groups with factory ammo and 1.5" groups with my handloads out of my brand new Encore. I ordered the size one and two hinge pins from Bellm, along with the heavy duty lock-up spring. I put a caliper to the size 1 and found that it was the exact same size as my factory pin, so I went immediately to the size two, which was about .004" larger in diameter. Had to use a fair bit of CLP and a drift pin with mallet, but it went in pretty easy. Gun now shoots .750" as a standard with my handloands. Sweet trigger on the gun too that I had my smith do. All that was needed was a little moly and it was a perfect 2.5 #s, no travel, or overtravel at all. Great hunting trigger. I'm pleased with it.
Sounds great. Mine was pretty simular, but my barrel hole was too small by .003". Thats when I decided to do it right. With todays technology on milling there is no excuse for the slop some of these encores have. They should match by .002" and pins should have to be drifted in, not laid in.

but your right, it makes all the difference in teh world.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Next time you are in a gun shop, break open an Encore. Just let it fall forward. The thing drops open like a gallows trap door. Once I put that pin it, I have to litterally push down on the muzzle end of the barrel to get it to open. Sort of like a stiff new Browning Citori...takes a little bit of effort. Sure did fix the issues though.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where does a guy get those Bellm hinge pins? I'm going to be putting a Pro Hunter barrel on my Encore here real soon and I just as well try something else new when I do it.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

Bigcountry: Here is what E A Brown says on how their pins work.

The original TC Encore barrel hinge pin rotates and drifts from side to side freely every time you open and close the action. This creates a potential for the lock-up to be slightly different with each shot. And, anything that is different from one shot to the next can change the point of impact. Our new Encore Accuracy Locker Hinge Pin locks the position of the hinge pin so that mechanical lock-up of the Encore action is exactly the same from one shot to the next!
The Accuracy Locker Hinge Pin replaces your factory hinge pin with no modifications to your frame or barrel. It simply tightens into place so there is no rotation nor drifting from side to side. The new pin fits all standard and Pro Hunter Encore barrels. You may need to sand some clearance at the inside wings/ears of your forend

That's how it works...
Old 02-27-2007, 07:13 PM
bigcountry

Well, I told you how I got an encore to have a tight lockup like swamp. I say give spend the money, capture some groups with and some without and give us a full report. Can't wait to hear back from you.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:06 PM
Fork Horn

I doubt you will hear back from me, I don't appreciate the sarcasm and attitude! I was just asking a simple question about a product.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:53 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: blackheel

I doubt you will hear back from me, I don't appreciate the sarcasm and attitude! I was just asking a simple question about a product.
No sarcasm here man. You want help, but you don't want to help us with a new part? Maybe help us with a review of a part on a gun? Alot of us took time to explain how to get the job done. Free of charge.You didn't have to pay a dime.You just came on here and asked a question and got spoon fed without having to do any work on your own. Instead of an insult back, just say "thanks" next time.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Well, I told you how I got an encore to have a tight lockup like swamp. I say give spend the money, capture some groups with and some without and give us a full report. Can't wait to hear back from you.
Blackheel:

It does suck that you pay $600+ for a new gun and have to spring another $15 or so with shipping for a spring and two pins. But you have already made a big investment in the gun, so I would really maximize your return and consider them an option. It certainly won'thurt anything to tighten the gunup a bit.

I couldn't have spent months and litterally hundreds of dollars in ammo and time chasing the sweet spot on that TC around. I would never have known about those pins, Mike Bell's website (which is a Mecca of info for the Encore owner), or how to correct my problems if it wasn't for THIS forum first. Just gotta keep in mind that you cannot understand dialect or tone of voice over the internet. Things that are often said in jest or just as an aside can be taken as sarcasm or outright attacks. None of that is intended at all.

Good luck with the TC.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:22 AM
bigcountry

I want to appoligive to you black. I know its my excuse lately, but I have quit chewing tobacco after decades of use. And really am not myself. You should ask my wife.

But honestly, after you explained your pin, you did have me intriged. It doesn't appear that anyone has tried your pin, and I sincerely wouldn't mind to have a report on it myself. I know I paid well over 200 dollars to have my forearm freefloated and my action and barrel hole milled and pin fitted. But I found my action at an estate auction, so I only had 100 or so in the action.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I want to appoligive to you black. I know its my excuse lately, but I have quit chewing tobacco after decades of use. And really am not myself. You should ask my wife.

That makes two of us on the quitting chewing.....Do you wake up in the middle of the night craving a dip? I wake up around 3:30 every nite and can't go back to sleep.

Quick Reply: Accuracy Hinge Pin for Encore?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.