Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

buckshot and chokes, what to do or not to do

Old 02-22-2007, 03:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default buckshot and chokes, what to do or not to do

I have a Remington 870 that I have been shooting OO & OOO buckshot with a 28" barrel with a extra full choke tube. I tried all chokes and this one did the best pattern. I have been shooting it for many years and have killed many deer with this set up.
The Question is :
I just purchased a Mossberg 935 with a 28" barrel. I also purchased choke tubes. Is it a wise thing to shoot buckshot out of a Extra full or the Ultra full ( turkey ) chokes? I know that the 935 is a overbore gun, and don't want to ruin anything by doing this.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:08 PM

Default RE: buckshot and chokes, what to do or not to do

my remington super full choke tube explicitly says do not use buckshot or steel shot. it should tell on there what size is recommended.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most turkey chokes I use or have run accross explicetly say not to use buckshot in them. I honestly don't know if it will hurt the gun/choke/pattern/you or not, but it must have at some point in order for them to put such a warning on the tube.

Everyone has what works for them, but it has been my experience that ultra tight choke tubes to not typically produce the best buckshot patterns at 35+ yards. By best, I am talking about tightest patterns here, straight up density. Out of one of my deer guns (I live in the part of the country where buckshot, deer and hounds have a lot in common), I get the best results with OO buck and an IM tube. The other gun is flat out lethal with a Patternmaster and just about anything. The PM doesn't have constriction at all, but rather just allows the shot to leave the barrel unmolested and strips the wad from the shot column. With the PM, my 870 will put 7 out of 15 pellets inside a 10" circle, and all 15 will be inside a 20" diameter circle. Pretty doggone strong for a buckshot gun. Much beyond 45 yards, buckshot loses its ummphh pretty fast, so while my gun is still able to put 3-4 pellets inside that 10" circle at 60 yards.... Its not enough to get the job done everytime.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Of the factory chokes, my Benelli patterns better with modified, but I have gone with a Patternmaster and love it. I would not hesitate to take a 40 yard shot with 00 buck.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:19 PM
Fork Horn

Mossberg website only says:

All our choke tubes are marked with the construction designation as a guide. Patterns can vary depending on ammunition brand, load, and shot size.
Slugs may be fired through choke tubes except those with X-Full constrictions or designated "Turkey tubes". Generally, open choke tube constrictions will produce more consistently accurate groups. The "Improved Cylinder" tube is a popular choice for slug shooting.

When they list the chokes, the only one ( and it is stamped into the choke tube also ) is the Ultra full. It say LEAD SHOT ONLY. All other just say what the choke is.
Is buckshot considered lead shot?
I was thinking of going with the 3 1/2" shells for more pellets and pattern the gun with different brands, size and chokes.
I just didn't know if I should shot it through the Ultra Full choke.
Is 3 1/2" sheels less powerful / less range then 3"?
Do they have the same amount of powder with more pellets ( weight ) in which will cut back on range and less knock down power?
Old 02-22-2007, 08:20 PM
Fork Horn

Is Patternmaster a choke tube or a barrel?
Old 02-22-2007, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 2robinhood

Is Patternmaster a choke tube or a barrel?
PatternMaster is a choke tube specifically for buckshot and large steel.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: 2robinhood

I have a Remington 870 that I have been shooting OO & OOO buckshot with a 28" barrel with a extra full choke tube. I tried all chokes and this one did the best pattern. I have been shooting it for many years and have killed many deer with this set up.
The Question is :
I just purchased a Mossberg 935 with a 28" barrel. I also purchased choke tubes. Is it a wise thing to shoot buckshot out of a Extra full or the Ultra full ( turkey ) chokes? I know that the 935 is a overbore gun, and don't want to ruin anything by doing this.
It is STRANGE that you get good results from buckshot fired in a tight choke, as the opposite is usually the case-BS usually works better inb a cylinder or improved cylinder choke-one that does the least to smack the pellets out-of-round. However, the only way you really know what's best in a particular gun is to shoot it and see.....

Buckshot, being made of lead, is considered lead shot.......
Old 03-10-2007, 06:24 PM
Typical Buck

I've always gotten better patterns from #1 buck and it's still .30 cal in full and modified chokes.Deer were dead out to 60 yards out of a Win 1200 full/28".The gun always jammed if you put 3 in it so it was loaded with two rounds.They had a habit of releasing two shells back out of the mag when you went to cycle the action.Got rid of it and got an 870...........Harold
Old 03-25-2007, 07:50 PM

I have been following this buckshot conversation with some interest. Just to put my two cents worth in, I agree with eldeguello. I believe buckshot does pattern better with a less constricted choke. I shoot a beretta semi auto with 3 inch 00 buck through a modified choke. Lately I have thought of using my IC choke to see if it would be better yet. I have never done any real serious patterning with the gun but as far as I can tell the difference between my modified and IC chokes with 00 buck is hardly noticeable.
I have also been debating the benefit of 3 inch shells. Is the increased number of pellets worth the reduction in velocity from the 2 3/4 inch shells?
In Maine ,where I live, most of the hunting is in thick woods. Not many hardwoods up here. Lots of conifers. The hunting is close and I have never shot a deer over 50 yards away.

Shotgunbilly in,

MOOSE COUNTRY

Quick Reply: buckshot and chokes, what to do or not to do

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.