Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Give Jim another chance

Old 02-22-2007, 10:30 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Give Jim another chance

ORIGINAL: Ruddyduck

Look Zumbo used a poor choice of words such as "assault " and "terrorist".
BUT NOWHERE DID HE SAY ANYONE DIDN"T HAVE THE RIGHT TO OWN AN AR OR AK et al.

He was trying to deal with the public image these weapons have on the general public. Maybe everyone forgets that hunting is not a right guaranteed in the bill of rights but is regulated wether we like it or not by the NON HUNTING majority and an increasingly Hostile to hunting and gun judges and politicians. That's the bottom line like it or not. Fish & Game Depts. good science can be and often are trumped by judges and politicions with there own agendas. Anybody recall a few bear & dove seasons that didn't happen?
Well, you have that right to support him. Send him on one of his lofty hunts with a guide so he can write more stories you like to hear.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:33 AM

"See, nowhere did I say I support Zumbo. You might want to work on your reading comprehension skills a bit. What I said was, I wish people would putas mucheffort into writing/calling their elected officials, as they did contacting his sponsors. If you can take 5 minutes to write a few of his sponsors, why can't people take the same time and write to people who will be responsible for these proposed laws?"

Youneed towake up and realize that in the eyes of the uneducated and uninvolved that Dumbo is an "expert.'' "Expert" Zumbo just undid your whole life's work onSecond Amendment rights.He just undidthe life's work of thousands like you and i. That "expert" just called me a terrorist for owning a high capacity semi-automatic rifle that is much more accurate than any of the four guns Zumbo claims to own. i write to my elected officials at least monthly on the issue of Second Amendment rights.

Here in OK it does do some goodto write to these politicians. Nationally, no one has done anything for gun owners in decades-but i still write.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:41 AM

ORIGINAL: alsaqr

Youneed towake up and realize that in the eyes of the uneducated and uninvolved that Dumbo is an "expert.'' "Expert" Zumbo just undid your whole life's work onSecond Amendment rights.He just undidthe life's work of thousands like you and i. That "expert" just called me a terrorist for owning a high capacity semi-automatic rifle that is much more accurate than any of the four guns Zumbo claims to own. i write to my elected officials at least monthly on the issue of Second Amendment rights.

Here in OK it does do some goodto write to these politicians. Nationally, no one has done anything for gun owners in decades-but i still write.
What makes you think I don't realize this? I DO NOT SUPPORT ZUMBO, OR WHAT HE WROTE. I am merely pointing out the fact that soooo many people went and emailed his sponsors to get him dropped. Wouldn't it be a glorious thing if they put that much energy into their elected officials?
Old 02-22-2007, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wouldn't it be a glorious thing if they put that much energy into their elected officials?
Politicians really don't care what people say or threaten them with money-wise. They've effectively insulated themselves monetarilyas well as from ads from their constituents with the McCain-Feingold Bill. If you aren't a large corporate entity, you have no voice.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:21 AM

"Wouldn't it be a glorious thing if they put that much energy into their elected officials?"

Yes, it would.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

As much as I like to argue with EKM I have to say he hit the nail dead on the head with that one. Zumbo is just another case of an overprivileged, overhyped,arrogant Fudd looking down at those who pay his salary...
Old 02-23-2007, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: longrifle1000

I just wish you people would go after your congresscritters the way you went after Zumbo. If you all did, the AWBII would have a much better chance at being beaten.

I'm sorry I didn't write Remington, Gerber, Cabela's, Himountain, or Swarovski pertaining to them sponsoring Zumbo. I was too busy writing and calling my elected politicians trying to squash the federal AWBII, AND the proposed AWB here in Illinois.

I guess it is just a matter of priorities.
I would, if any of my congresscritters were out in left field! And I'm keeping my eye on mine!
Old 02-23-2007, 10:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

ORIGINAL: longrifle1000

I just wish you people would go after your congresscritters.
I would, if any of my congresscritters were out in left field! And I'm keeping my eye on mine!
I'd keep an eye on mine if it would do any good. But, I'm in one of those gerrymandered districts designed to guarantee a seat to a black democrat. My congresscritter, Sheila Jackson Lee is currently on a peace mission to Venezuala, visiting with Hugo Chavez. Hopefully, they'll fall in love, get married, and we'll never have to see her again.

Then, I'll start a write in campaign for my dog Sophie. Sophie's black, so she'll pull most of Ms. Lee-Chavez's constituency. She's got some brown highlights on her paws and face, and she's 3/4's chihuahua, so she'll pull a good bit of the Mexican vote, and she's got a white chest, so she's a lock for the Barack Obama/Michael Jackson fans. She's female, so she'll probably pull in the Hillary crowd. And, she's smarter than any of them. I think she could win...
Old 02-23-2007, 10:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

By the way, Zumbo's apology has now gone through a second draft, and it's getting better. He posted the following on Ted Nugent's site:

Ted Nugent had Jim Zumbo posting on his forum today.

"The last few days have been an educational experience, to say the least. My ill-conceived inflammatory blog, as all of you now know, set off a firestorm that, I’m told, has never before been equaled. I’m not proud of that. Let me say this at the outset. My words here are from the heart, and all mine. No one can censor me, and I answer to no one but myself. And I have no one to blame but myself. Outdoor Life, a magazine that I worked for full-time as Hunting Editor for almost 30 years, fired me yesterday. My TV show was cancelled yesterday. Many of my sponsors have issued statements on their website to sever all relationships. This may cause many of you to do backflips and dance in the streets, but, of course, I’m not laughing, nor am I looking for sympathy. I don’t want a pity party.

They say hindsight is golden. Looking back, I can’t believe I said the words “ban” and “terrorist” in the context that I did. I don’t know what I was thinking when I wrote that. I can explain this as sheer ignorance and an irresponsible use of words. What I’ve learned over the last few days has enlightened and amazed me. As a guy who hunts 200 days a year, does seminars on hunting, wrote for six hunting magazines, had a hunting TV show, and wrote 20 books on hunting, how could I have been so ignorant and out of touch with reality in the world of hunting and shooting?

But I was. I really can’t explain it, maybe because I just summarily dismissed the firearms in question in my mind when I saw them in magazines and catalogs. I saw one “black” firearm in a hunting camp in all my 50 years of hunting, and I shot one last year off a boat when fishing in Alaska. To tell the truth, it was fun and I enjoyed it immensely, but I never considered one for use in hunting. I have to tell you that I have had a revelation. I’m learning that many of my pals own AR-15’s and similar firearms and indeed use them for hunting. I was totally unaware that they were being used for legitimate hunting purposes. That is the absolute truth.

My biggest regret is not the financial impact of all this. I’m almost 67 and retirement is an option. The dreadful impact here is that I inadvertently struck a spear into the hearts of the people I love most…America’s gun owners. And, even though this huge cadre of dedicated people have succeeded in stripping me of my career, I hold no grudges. I will continue to stand as firm on pro hunting as I’ve ever done. But what’s different now is that I’ll do all I can to educate others who are, or were, as ignorant as I was about “black” rifles and the controversy that surrounds them. My promise to you is that I’ll learn all I can about these firearms, and by the time this week is out, I’ll order one. The NUGE has invited me to hunt with him using AR-15’s, and I’m eager to go, and learn. I’ll do all I can to spread the word.

I understand that many of you will not accept this apology, believing that the damage has been done and there’s no way to repair it. You have that right. But let me say this. I mentioned this above, and I’ll repeat it. I’m willing to seize this opportunity to educate hunters and shooters who shared my ignorance. If you’re willing to allow me to do that, we can indeed, in my mind, form a stronger bond within our ranks. Maybe in a roundabout way we can bring something good out of this."

Jim Zumbo
Old 03-04-2007, 01:56 AM

I myself own 5 AR's, M1and 20+other firearms. I take offense at being branded a terrorist by this schmuck. Who the hell does he think he is? I servedin the US Army for this country and would die for it and my 2nd amendment rights, how dare this joker call me a terrorist!!! In my book, he is nothing more than back stabbing traitor!!!