Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Bolt Rifle in .308 ???

Old 12-07-2002, 04:05 PM

Default New Bolt Rifle in .308 ???

I recently purchased a used rifle. It is a Sears model 53 in .308 cal. After some research I found that it is actually a Winchester model 70 made for Sears. I looked it over at the store. The bore was shinny and clean (no dark spots in barrel or chamber). The rifling looked sharp. The whole rifle looked to have been taken care of considering its age. The barrell has some bluing wear but nothing extensive. At a distance of 3 feet you can't tell that there is any bluing wear. It is only when looking up close that you notice it. The end of the muzzle had no wearing. You know how one looks silver when been shot alot. There was none on this crown. I am not saying that it has not ever been reblued and such because I am not one that could tell, but as is, this is the way it looks. I cleaned it up good and scoped it. I shot it at 100 yards and was averaging about 2 inch groups. A couple were around 1 and 1/2 inches. This was not giving the barrel time to cool either. I simply was shooting them off as it was snowing outside and I wanted to get the scope zeroed to hunt. This was also shooting Winchester PP 150gr. and Rem core lokt 150gr. bullets. The trigger is very nice and light.(I guess because it was made before the lawyer proof days). I was wanting some feedback on this. Does anyone know about when this was manufactured. It has no Ted Williams name or Initials on it anywhere. How good of production was model 70 winchester's during the time of this one's production? The stock is nicely checkered with a black checkering sorda.
When putting the action and barrel back in the stock after cleaning, I didn't know what to torque the screws to for best accuracy. I did the front screw to 25 inch pounds and the two back screws just hand snug. What is best to torque to? I don't want to compress the wood on the stock with to tight of torque on the bolts.
Also, how is the accuracy and what can I do to better it? How long can I expect this rifle to give me service? Will it break down because of age at this condition? I bought it for 199.00. It seemed good to me. However, I am not experienced . That is why I am coming to you all with this inquiry. Thanks for all you can tell me about this.
Whitey

Whitey
Old 12-09-2002, 08:38 AM

Default RE: New Bolt Rifle in .308 ???

Bump!! Anybody? Thanks
Whitey

Whitey
Old 12-09-2002, 09:56 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-09-2002, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know anything about your rifle, but I shoot a sears and roebuck/j.c.higgins 12 ga, and I once asked to find out how old it was, found out that sears stopped sanctioning these arms in the 50's, so I'm betting your gun is around that old. Might write a letter into guns and ammo or contact a gunsmith.

Screw the 10 ring, keep them in the zero!!!
Old 12-15-2002, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Model 53 was made for Sears by Savage, not Winchester. The Model 54 was a lever action made by Winchester.