Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Handgun question,,,

Old 02-19-2007, 04:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Handgun question,,,

My old man carries a keltec (sp?) .380. It's small, and very light. It's not flashy, but for 250 bucks new. It def gets the job done. It's also a fun little gun to shoot.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:59 PM

Thanks for all the responses and I think you guys are right that going cheap isn't the way to go. I am going to go lok at the Kahr CW9 this week. I think the kahr goes for about $400 and if that doesn't feel right I think I will just save some cash and wait till March and buy a glock.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am going to go lok at the Kahr CW9
if that doesn't feel right I think I will just save some cash and wait till March and buy a glock.
Both good choices.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:50 PM

Ok I am looking at a couple of guns now. I am looking at the Glock 23, Kahr CW9 or 40 and the Sigma series as well. My question is this, will the Glock 23 be easily carriable once I get my CCP? I know the Kahr will be easily carriable as it's a touch smaller. Talked to the wife and she's ok if I push the limit up to around $500. Also which would be a better round the 9mm or the .40 S&W?
Old 02-20-2007, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

The midsized Glock 19 (9mm) and 23 (40) are VERY popular for carry.
Great mag capacity for the size, no featuresthat will snag during a draw,no sharp edges to ruin your clothes, factory installed night sights, a light rail, easy take down for cleaning, a great finish that resists corrosion well, and a TON of high capacity mags on the market at low prices.

You can also pack a higher capacity mag for the full sized gun (G17 or G22)as backup. The G26 and G27 (ultra tiny subcompacts) are also popular, but the grip is too small for me unless I use an extender. Since I have to do that, I might as well keep the longer sight radius (and greater margin of error for aiming) and longer barrel for a slight increase in velocity anyway. The baby Glocks can be tough to reload without some serious practice since your bottom finger wiil almost alwayshang in the way of the magwell. The grip angle is also different in the baby Glocks vs the oneyou will findfor mid and full-size models.

If you like the feel of the grip and the way the trigger works, it'd be hard to find a better choice, even used. I bought a used Glock 21 for the house about 8 years ago (full sized 45), threw some Tritium on top, practiced my wallet dry every week, and found it to be very accurate, and extremely reliable. It's just too big for me to carry.

Every time I go to the range, that G21 is the first and last to blow smoke.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Bulzeye

The midsized Glock 19 (9mm) and 23 (40) are VERY popular for carry.
Great mag capacity for the size, no featuresthat will snag during a draw,no sharp edges to ruin your clothes, factory installed night sights, a light rail, easy take down for cleaning, a great finish that resists corrosion well, and a TON of high capacity mags on the market at low prices.

You can also pack a higher capacity mag for the full sized gun (G17 or G22)as backup. The G26 and G27 (ultra tiny subcompacts) are also popular, but the grip is too small for me unless I use an extender. Since I have to do that, I might as well keep the longer sight radius (and greater margin of error for aiming) and longer barrel for a slight increase in velocity anyway. The baby Glocks can be tough to reload without some serious practice since your bottom finger wiil almost alwayshang in the way of the magwell. The grip angle is also different in the baby Glocks vs the oneyou will findfor mid and full-size models.

If you like the feel of the grip and the way the trigger works, it'd be hard to find a better choice, even used. I bought a used Glock 21 for the house about 8 years ago (full sized 45), threw some Tritium on top, practiced my wallet dry every week, and found it to be very accurate, and extremely reliable. It's just too big for me to carry.

Every time I go to the range, that G21 is the first and last to blow smoke.
So is the G21 the largest of the Glocks that you mentioned here? Is that the one you would buy if you were not concerned about it being a conceal and carry? And do you know how many magazines the Glocks usually come with (just 1 or is it 2?)? Thanks!
Old 02-20-2007, 05:32 PM

I have the Ruger P95 and love it... But, I wouldn't want to carry that big pig all day long. It is a big gun! Since you didn't specify what type of gun, I would recommend a revolver! A fantastic revolver can be had for that price range and a .357 magnum will always do the trick.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

So is the G21 the largest of the Glocks that you mentioned here? Is that the one you would buy if you were not concerned about it being a conceal and carry? And do you know how many magazines the Glocks usually come with (just 1 or is it 2?)?
I think they all come with 2, but I bought my only one used, so I'm not sure. The G21 in 45 and the G20 in 10mm are the largest Glocks (thickest and bulkiest)and share the same size frame. Ted Nugent hunts with a 6 inch barrel on his G20. Dropped a pig at 100yards with one shot.

The G21 has a big grip. The 40 and 9mm Glocks fit my hand better, so it took some intense retraining with the new grip to fire it quickly and well, but it can be done. As much as I love the 45, I'll probably switch to 40 or 357 sig if I buy another defensive Glock. I'd get a mid size like the G23 for carry, and a long barrel like theG24 or G35 for the house.

If you consider the Sprinfield XD, make certain that you get the new Melonite finish. The first few runs of those guns had something different that was prone to surface rust. The XD is on my list for good ones too.

This is the 40 cal Glock family (from smallest to largest), so you can see the size differences.
They, along with all the XDs, have polygonal rifling that requires the use of jacketed bullets instead of regular lead. No biggie.

G27

G23

G22

G35

G24

The G24 was the original long barrel 40, and the G35 is the shortened version to accomodate certain competition rules regarding overall size.

One thing that I don't like about the G24 and G35 is that the slide's top is cut out for the barrel ports even if you get a non-ported barrel. You don't want a ported barrel on a defensive gun that you may have to fire fromstrange positions that might send hot gas and lead splinters into your face.