Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Talk to me about bolt actions

Old 02-16-2007, 07:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Talk to me about bolt actions

The "sloppiest" bolt-action rifles I've ever handled were military Mausers. When the bolt is open all the way, you can wiggle it up and down at least 1/4" at the back end. But they're made this way on purpose, so they will work when filthy and full of sand! The best I've seen for military rifles were thedouble-heat-treated 1903 Springfields made after WWI.

By far the smoothest commercial, production-linebolt riflesever made were the Mannlicher Schoenauers made in Austria with diamond-dust honed actions!
Old 02-16-2007, 09:26 AM

ORIGINAL: Folically Challenged

I suppose that in the grand scheme o' things, what the bolt feels like when it's traveling back & forthdoesn't matter nearly as much as how well the thing locks up when you put the handle down. Still, I wonder if there's something... more.

FC
I think that sums it up quite nicely. Funny thing, the other day a friend was complaining about his Remington being too "rough" during cycling. He asked me to look at it. I took it and cleaned the slide rails good and applied a light coat of synthetic lube that I use on my pistols. Gave it back to him and he loved it.

I personally think that too much emphasis is place on "sloppy" action and the like. If the bolt is square and locks up tightly with equal contact on each lug then you have a good gun. Take a colored sharpie and color the backs of the locking lugs on a bolt. open and close the bolt serveral times and remove the bolt. Look to see where the marker has been rubbed off. On a good action both lugs will be completly wiped. On a bad one only one lug will be clean, while the other will looked like it hasn't been touched. And of course there is every thing in between. Partial contact on one, partial contact on both etc etc. You will find both good and bad in every commercial manufactured action.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you need to check out a Tikka T3. It's strong, double lobe bolt. Very smooth action. The ejector will seem small compared to the Mauser 98 bolts. But it works well, too.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:10 PM

Remington 700 is kinda modeled after the Mauser system, the Rem's have a single rail system vise Mauser's 2 rail system......I prefer the Mauser action...its top notch. Savage's 12 series has really smooth action on there bolts. Sako's are pretty nice......a little trick I learned to smooth out a bolt is to take toothpaste and squeeze it in the bolt system and just work that action while your watching TV......man i smooths it right out
Old 02-16-2007, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn’t mind getting a Tikka if only they had it the cartridge I’m looking for...
Old 02-16-2007, 07:50 PM

The smoothest and nicest action I've ever layed my hand on was a SIG SAUER,that stayed on the shelf at my favorite toy store for a year or more. I wanted to buy the darn thing because of the action but didn't cause I didn't need another 308. It was as smooth as glass with snot rubbed on it
Old 02-16-2007, 08:38 PM

Mauser actions are made under the Sig Sauer name now.....so more then likely it was a mauser action you got your hands on.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:48 PM
Dominant Buck

I prefer the older Sakos!
Old 02-17-2007, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer the older Sakos!
I sure would like to get my hands on an older Sako so that I could make a comparison...
Old 02-17-2007, 06:42 AM

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

The "sloppiest" bolt-action rifles I've ever handled were military Mausers. When the bolt is open all the way, you can wiggle it up and down at least 1/4" at the back end. But they're made this way on purpose, so they will work when filthy and full of sand! The best I've seen for military rifles were thedouble-heat-treated 1903 Springfields made after WWI.

By far the smoothest commercial, production-linebolt riflesever made were the Mannlicher Schoenauers made in Austria with diamond-dust honed actions!
Maybe that's why I don't think it feels wobbly? I'm quite used to the military rifles and no what you are talking about. I think mentally, that is probably one of the reasons I bought the Ruger All-Weather. It's butt stock resembles that of my M-16A2.

Quick Reply: Talk to me about bolt actions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.