Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

shooting from a bench

Old 02-13-2007, 04:06 PM

Default shooting from a bench

are you supposed to still hold the forearm of the gun when you're shooting off a prop? (in my case it's a couple of rolled up jackets) or do you just let it sit on there? I've been holding the rifle in my hand and laying my hand on the brace and trying not to grip too tightly on the stock but sometimes it feels like it's going to leap right out of my hand and that makes me a little nervous.

i've only been going to ranges since the weekend before christmas, as far as i can remember through my years every other time i have shot it was either actually holding the gun in my hands or propped on a tree. i'm kind of new to his hehe.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: shooting from a bench

I just let the forearm lay on the rest. my non-shooting hand has the elbow propped on the bench and supports the butt up against my shoulder. I find this to be a very steady position. Most rifle stocks are designed without a lot of drop. This should let the gun come pretty much straight back on recoil.I've never had a rifle come upmuch on recoil.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can hold pretty much anyway that is comfortable for you just dont put pressure on the barrel. I usually put gun in Uncle Buds sand bag and put left hand on top of scope or just under the trigger guard.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I kinda agree with wingbone....I use my left hand to adjust and pinch the rear bag for final sight picture off the bench. I see people holding the forearm off a sandbag rest, but I don't know how they can maintain a steady sight picture this way. You gotta position the rear bag with your left hand, and hold it there thru the shot.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:08 PM

You need to make yourself (or buy) a great big honking sandbag on which to place the fore end of your rifle. And a couple of smaller ones for the butt stock. This rolled up jacket deal has a lot of error built into it.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

You need to make yourself (or buy) a great big honking sandbag on which to place the fore end of your rifle. And a couple of smaller ones for the butt stock. This rolled up jacket deal has a lot of error built into it.
Agreed. Sandbags are fast, effective and cheap. I make mine out of pant or coverall legs.

As far as your freehand position it boils down to personal preference. Like mentioned keepit off the barrel.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have used this brand for a while and they have worked great.

http://www.grafs.com/vendor/835
Old 02-14-2007, 08:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

For some rifles, when benchresting them, you have to try to duplicate as closely as possible the way the forearm will be held when taking shots at game. A good example of this requirement is when zeroing or testing the Ruger No. 1. This is due to the two-piece stock/forend arrangement these rifles have. So when I shoot my No. 1's from a bench, I rest my left hand on the sandbag and grip the forend just like I do when hunting.

However, in the case of abolt action, most will shoot to about the same point of impact if you just use something relatively soft under the forend.A good sandbag is actually soft enough. Just don't use anything really hard-ahigh-powered rifle tends to shoot away from a hard rest, so the bullet will hit much higher than it would if fired offhand.....
Old 02-16-2007, 10:10 AM

G. David Tubbs suggests that you lightly hold the forearm, while ina rest, when shooting a hunting rifle. He says that only benchrest rifles (wide, heavy forearms) should be left free.
This may not be for everyone, but it did help me a great deal. I was holding my non-dominant hand back by my chest just below the rear of the stock. My big guns where jumping, and my grouping was bigger.