Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

recommend me a concealed carry gun

Old 02-17-2007, 03:29 PM

Default RE: recommend me a concealed carry gun

I see. I might end up liking it. I don't like feeling like moving a few hairs out of the way when I fire a gun. I have a .270 that seems if you blinked at the wrong time it could go off and I just don't like that. Speaking of which I need to get off my butt and fix that haha...

I'll have to find a site that compares the trigger pull, though. Off the top of my head Idon't know if there's even a Walther dealer close by.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

On the Walther, since it is a TDA (also called DA/SA), there will be two different trigger pulls depending on the mode the gun is in.
For your first shot with the hammer down, Walther's website states that it will be a 13 pound pull, and then a 4 pound pull after the first shot or whenever the hammer is precocked.

Imagine going to your weight bench, stacking up 13 pounds of weights, tying a string to the pile, and then trying to lift it with your index finger. You can work out in your own head just how much less precisely you'll be able to keep the tiny sights on target while exerting that much pressure.

Sure you could cock it first...at the range,when you aren't whipping it out of your pocket at light speed to try to save your bacon.

The Glocks, by comparison, have about 5 pound pulls, and it's alwaysthe same for every shot. Kahrs and XDs are the same way too, but they are about 7 and 6 pounds respectively. Pretty hard to tell the difference.

I like the LDA triggers from ParaOrd too which are smooth and light but expensive.

Many 1911s are also around 5-7 pounds. I wouldn't go much lighter than that for a defensive gun, especially a single action pistol with a very short trigger pull like a 1911. A modified gun can be tough to defend in court and you may end up shooting someone that you didn't have to if you find yourself holding them at gunpoint (and using poor judgement by having your finger on the trigger)when they make a sudden move that causes you to reflexively contract your fist. BOOM! Oh crap.

Revolvers fired double action willhave heavier pulls thanthe semis I mentioned, but nowhere near 13 pounds andshould be much smoother than the PPK.

Just my 2 cents.
(I guess by now it's more like $3.50, but you get the idea.)

BTW Don,
It's always good to have new people visit the bowfishing forum.
Thanks for stopping by.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:03 PM
Typical Buck

I have been think about picking up one of the derringers made by bond arms. One of the models shoots 45 long colt and 410 shot shells. Just an idea.

http://www.bondarms.com/

Old 02-17-2007, 09:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

One thing to consider with the .357 revolver.......all handguns are loud to the unprotected ear but IMO there isn't much that's more piercing than the crack of a .357 revolver. You might bleed to death from the ears before the guy you're shooting at hits the ground.

I have a Springfield XD.40 service and I saw it said here that if its too heavy you won't carry it.......they're right. I love mine and eats everything I throw in it but its a bear to carry so its stays primarily as a home defense weapon.

I was actually thinking of grabbing a Bersa Thunder .380 myself (I saw someone mention that one)
My best friend has one that he carries and it's a heck of a comfy gun, and I certainly wouldn't want to shot with one. Keep in mind that although some of these calibers seem light, .380 .38 etc chances are that if you ever need to use one of these in defense you will doing so at a distance of a few feet.......not some glorified movie set car to car, building to building shootout such as you MIGHT find in a law enforcement situation. You really IMO DON'T need something like a .357 or .45 or any of these heavy calibers for the in tight encounters you will realistically see in a carry situation. You need something you WILL carry, won't light you up with muzzle blast and that functions easily and reliably.

I know I won't feel underprotected one bit with a .380 in my waistband.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:49 PM

I have a Ruger SP101 in .357. It's light and small. I've had my trigger finger bleed after shooting once. It ripped some skin off. .38's are nice. .357's are not.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:00 PM
Fork Horn

I have a glock 32 andI can conceal it pretty good. You won't go wrong with a glock or XD. Just pick the size. I have large hands so I need a bigger frame for comfort.