Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

recommend me a concealed carry gun

Old 02-15-2007, 11:21 PM

Default RE: recommend me a concealed carry gun

GREAT post Bulz! Thanks for the thoughts.

That being said, any specific brands I should stay away from?
Old 02-15-2007, 11:24 PM

Oh, and you said I could practice with 38s in my .357? I had read that somewhere else and I'll admit, I'm a bit wary of loading ammo into a gun that isn't exactly what is stamped on the barrel.

And, if you can, what might be say a "percentage" type comparison of the recoil of a .357 to a .38? I'm sure you can tell that I REALLY liked the .38 special belonging to my friend's mother. If a .357 gave me more punch for not too much more of a recoil I would definitely do that.

edit: This article pretty much gave me my answer about theammo question: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.38 This is making a .357 very appealing, even though I do like the idea of more shots in an autoloader.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don, that is a very good article.
There is no question that the 357 will hit harder (on both ends) than any 38+P, and definitely more than a stand pressure 38, even out of a short barrel like a 2" snubbie. You want a % recoil comparison? Try oneyourself. You should be able to find one for rent somewhere. I'lll bet that most folks will put it down after a shot or two and take a break. The fireball and muzzleblast from short barrels can be impressive.

Notice that they use 4 inch barrels in that writeup for their velocity and energy testing data. Check out a ballistics table that includes 2 inch barrels, and you'll see the differences even out a bit more. The 357 really has the advantage in a longer barrelled heavier gun. The longer barrel makes better use of the amount of powder available producing higher velicities and energy. The heavier gun and longer barrel combine to provide a more shootable combination with less felt recoil because the mass of the gun soaks up some of the energy (it's that whole high school physics inertia thing), and the longer barrel keeps more of that additional weight towrd the front of the gun to keep the muzzle from flipping up so much during recoil.That wayit's not pointing toward the sky when you try to align your sights for the second and third shots.

Remember that 'trade off' thing I mentioned? The punishing recoil is the trade off for the added power in a small lightweightgun. Even macho gun magazine writers often say how nasty it is, and how difficult it is to get good follow up shots. If you can't try one first, you couldbuy a 357, and just use the 38+Ps if its too much. No shame in that.

From the article:
Except for its length, the .38 Special case is identical to that of the .357 Magnum which was developed from the earlier cartridge in 1935. This allows the .38 Special round to be used in revolvers chambered for the .357 Magnum (but not the reverse
This is true. The two calibers can use the exact same projectiles, although most people who have researched it will use heavier bullets in 38, and lighter ones in 357. The difference between teh calibers is the case length and the amount of powder behind the bullet. Any 38 can be safely used in any 357, just like any 44 special can be used in any 44 magnum.

If you are really sold on the 357, I'll recommend an all-steel framed gun.
They are somewhat heavier than the really light ones, but the added shooting comfort of the added weight will be priceless.

Old 02-16-2007, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another note on dealing with the recoil.
In the semiautos, the recoil spring, the mass of the slide, and sometimes even a slight flexing of the frame itself help absorb some of the shock.
All revolvers act as if they are one solid piece, and don't flex at all in any way to help you deal with the forces. The same thing occurs with bolt action and slide action rifles and shotguns when compared to semiautos.

That's why a semi in a bigger caliber like 357 sig, 40, or even 45 will bother you much less than a comparably powered revolver cartridge like the 357 mag in a small gun.

If you want a brand recommendation, stick with majornames that are reliable...
For revolvers, Smith and Wesson, Taurus, and Ruger are well proven.
For Semiautos, Glock, Kahr, Springfield, H&K, Kimber, Sig,Colt, Beretta, Walther, S&W, and Para Ord. among others, won't steer you wrong.

Some guns like the baby Glocks (G26 in 9mm or the G27 in 40)allow you to carry a teeny tiny gun,andkeep a larger high capacity magazine for it as a reload or as aprimary mag forthe nightstand when away from home.
The baby Springfield XDs also can do this, and the smallest ones even have a light rail and an itsy bitsy light for it.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:17 PM

what do you know about the baby eagle family of semi autos?
Old 02-16-2007, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

To be honest, the guns from Magnum Research are not ones I've followed too closely. I always considered the Desert Eagle more of a novelty than anything else. I've fired one in 44mag that hated aluminum casings so much that you had to manually cycle the slide between shots because of constant jamming. It did ok with regular brass, but the thing was a brick.

I have no experience with the babys, but from giving the lineup a quick once-over... http://www.impactguns.com/store/mag_babyeagle.html
I'd pick one of the compact models with the shorter grip for CC. The grip is what sticks out from your waistline and 'prints' through your shirt or jacket to tell the world you are wearing a gun.

I read a couple of quick reviews just now, and it seems most owners like the shape of the grip quite well. Couldn't find anything on reliability or accuracy. In a defense gun, reliability is above all else in priority. When you pull that trigger, the gun has to go boom every time.

All of the babys look like they are traditional double actions with decocker safeties that double as manual safeties. Is that what you want?
Old 02-16-2007, 09:00 PM

Springfield Armory XD-40 sub-compact, J or K frameS&W 38 637 or 642.

onthe more hardcore side.......kimber ultra carry or colt defender
Old 02-16-2007, 10:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nothing wrong with the 357 Mag for sure however in records of one shot stops, the 38 +P FBI load is right up near the top. That would be the 158 Grain LHP. I own 357's as well as 38 Specials. Even when I carry the 357 I use the +P 38 loads. In winter I stick in a few Hard ball FMJ in the 38 as well. Out doors in the summer I often load a few Shot shells as well. Snake loads.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:19 PM

ORIGINAL: James B

Nothing wrong with the 357 Mag for sure however in records of one shot stops, the 38 +P FBI load is right up near the top. That would be the 158 Grain LHP. I own 357's as well as 38 Specials. Even when I carry the 357 I use the +P 38 loads. In winter I stick in a few Hard ball FMJ in the 38 as well. Out doors in the summer I often load a few Shot shells as well. Snake loads.
so far i think i've narrowed it down to some form of a 357 snub, and then between a walther ppk and a glock 27. i'm not married to the idea of the ppk, they simply seem sleek and easy to hide.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

i'm not married to the idea of the ppk
Try the trigger pull and compare it to the others before you buy.
If I remember right, it's a little stiffer than I like. Good gun though.

Quick Reply: recommend me a concealed carry gun

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.