Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

MOVING TO WY....

Old 02-13-2007, 06:57 AM
Spike

Default MOVING TO WY....

MOVING TO WY AND NEED A GUN A BIG CAL. GUN. BIGGEST CAL. I HAVE ISIN A 270 WIN. THINKING OF BUYING A 300 OF SOME KIND. I REALLY LIKE THE KIMBERS BUT YOU CAN ONLY GET A 300 WIN MAG, 300 WSM OR A 338. I DO RELOAD SO THAT MIGHT HELP. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK WOULD BE A GOOD GUN TO GET. ALL AND ANY CAL WOULD BE FINE TO STATE.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: MOVING TO WY....

ORIGINAL: birdbustin

MOVING TO WY AND NEED A GUN A BIG CAL. GUN. BIGGEST CAL. I HAVE ISIN A 270 WIN. THINKING OF BUYING A 300 OF SOME KIND. I REALLY LIKE THE KIMBERS BUT YOU CAN ONLY GET A 300 WIN MAG, 300 WSM OR A 338. I DO RELOAD SO THAT MIGHT HELP. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK WOULD BE A GOOD GUN TO GET. ALL AND ANY CAL WOULD BE FINE TO STATE.
First, congratulations, you lucky varmint! The only thing I can think of that would be better is if you were moving to Alaska!

Now, you have a .270, which is plenty of rifle. I used one for everything for three years in Alaska, and needed nothing else (I did have a .375 H&H, but the only times I got to shoot at anything,I was carrying the .270! I used 150 grain Nosler Partitions in it up north with 53.5 grains of IMR 4350.)

The .30's aren't enough of an improvement over the .270 (if any), so get you a nice .338. It will be better protection against big bears, and a great elk/moosecartridge, if you start to feel undergunned with a .270 for elk & moose.

Have fun!!
Old 02-13-2007, 10:57 AM

Welcome. . .your not moving all that far. . .but this does now give you a few good excuses to buy more toys. I'd get 2. . . .one for your speed goats and one for the elk. . . .the .270 will do both quite nicelybut what the heck. . . my choices would be a 7RM and a 22-250.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:11 PM
Typical Buck

For one gun, I will 7RUM. That will take care of everything from goats to elk. If a 300 is what you want, I would go with a WM. You said you reload and the WSM has given some people trouble when reloading. The 300 is awesome too. Ok, now I will say 7RUM or 300WM.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would agree with .300 WM for Elk or other big game. I imagine your .270 will be your deer rifle. Many .338 rifles are used out there for Elk, too.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:11 PM

What part of WY you moving to?

I think Eldeguello hit it on the head. The elk won't know the difference between a .270 and a .300. Either way, they die. If you just want a new toy, though, a .300 UM would be fun.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:51 PM

Moving to WY? Why?

I moved to ID from SC last year. Passing through WY I noticed a few things that were odd to me. 1) Lack of gas stations (along I70), when your tank hits 1/2 start looking for a station. I almost ran out, left Colorado Springs with 1/2 tank and BARELY made it to Cheyenne. I was used to the Eastwhere there is an exit at most every 10 miles or so. 2) The scenery nevery changes through the state, and when driving fills like you are sitting still.

Seens TONS on antelope. Along the roadside and they almost seemed tame.Stopped and kids got out to look at them. The antelope looked and went right back to grazing. Probably about 20-30 yards away as well. I thought that a little strange, guess they had never been threatened or shot at by us humans.

Here in ID, I have a 7 Mag (Browning A Bolt) took a mulie buck pretty easily. Going this fall to elk hunt with my dad in either Fremont or Teton County, just across the mountains from Jackson WY. Picked up a 300 Win Mag to toy with (Remington Sendero). Not used that on any game, but after shooting feel it should be up to the task.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:58 PM

ORIGINAL: wyotimberghost

What part of WY you moving to?

I think Eldeguello hit it on the head. The elk won't know the difference between a .270 and a .300. Either way, they die. If you just want a new toy, though, a .300 UM would be fun.
A few weeks ago I just bought a 300 WM, weighs 8.5, probably 9.5 w/ scope. Went and shot about 60 times one day last week. My arm hurt pretty good. Over the next couple days, bruised all the way down to the inside of my elbow. Only the shoulder hurt, but bruised WAY DOWN.

Went and bought one of those IMPACT recoil pads for under jacket. Helps alot, but makes you feel wimpy! Don't really want to install a brake. No problem though to hunt if only taking a couple shots. Its when you get to about 20-30 you are ready to put it up! Shot about the same the other day with that and no pain at all.

You guys that shoot those 300 & 338 RUMS must be some tough mofos, or only shoot a few a sitting?
Old 02-23-2007, 11:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

You guys that shoot those 300 & 338 RUMS must be some tough mofos, or only shoot a few a sitting?
60 rounds 1 sitting... whew I hope you only plan to do that once!

I don't know about us being "tough m's", I know that 20 rounds with my .300 WM is enough for me in 1 sitting now that mine is zeroed!

It's a bit of a bucker, but when you put it on that Elk and squeeze, you won't feel a thing.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:07 AM
Typical Buck

"22-250."

Not for goats in Wy. Has to be a minimum of .23....but it would make a great coyote gun! .270 will do the trick for anything in Wyoming, but yeah--if you NEED something bigger--why not! Shoot a model before you buy it. No use getting a new rifle and then not using it 'cause it knocks you silly. I've only shot a 300 mag a couple of times and didn't find it had any more kick than my 06. Sometimes it is as specific to the model as the caliber.

Quick Reply: MOVING TO WY....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.