Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Savage rifles

Old 02-09-2007, 10:44 PM

Default RE: Savage rifles

I have 3 also, well make that 4 counting the mark11 .22 cal. I have a 110 308 tactical, a 111 270 win and a 12BVSS 223 and they will also do well under an inch. well ( the mark11 will not come close to an inch ). But when I see a rifle with a barrel nut I feel sure it is a shooter and the owner didn't get screwed at the check out counter. You can't say that about the other num nut brands!
Old 02-10-2007, 07:29 AM

Cosmetics have their price- are they worth it? To some, maybe.

In all my years of shooting and hunting I've learned two things:

1) Fancy schmancy cosmetics get marred up very quickly in the field if you're actually using it for real hunting. Re-sale value on your investment has gone down due to scratches, nicks, dings, etc. Who wants to take AAAAA+ walnut stock and high polished bluinginto the field?

2) Flawless function and outstanding accuracy provide two things:
Confidence in your rifle and day in, day out reliability. I'll take anoption 2 SHOOTER everytime!!!
Old 02-10-2007, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

To you guys who just care about function I have a question or 2 for you. When you buy a car or truck do you look at the one you think looks the best or functions the best? How about clothes or shoes or anything you purchase, do any of you like how it looks or just worry about function?

I have 2 Savage rifles and they shoot fine, they are ugly and the only complaint I have about them is their re-sale value is crap.

When I goto the gun store I check out the rifles that feel good to me and catch my eye. From the prices of the highly engraved highly polished guns someone else must do the same and not mind paying for a nice looking gun.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:13 AM

My truck/SUV purchases are by reliability, re-sale value and best performance for the dollar. I review the car and driver assessments to see where the pros and cons are.
I bought "pretty stuff " when I was young, dumb and influenced by trends and opinions. Now I buy with my head. Spend the money on the "best quality for the dollar". Even real pretty automobiles lose thousands of dollars the minute they leave the showroom. Why did we have to pay the higher amount if it just depreciated when I drove away with it?
If showing off is important to some, let them spend their money the way they want to. Its their right to do so.
Mortgages, kids, bills etc. cause one to look at the spending vs. over spending!
Just .02 worth!
Old 02-10-2007, 08:29 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-10-2007, 08:35 AM

ORIGINAL: Duckbutter48

To you guys who just care about function I have a question or 2 for you. When you buy a car or truck do you look at the one you think looks the best or functions the best?
To be honest, I go with function 1st then looks. I drive an extended cab Dodge Ram v8 as I have children which are safer in the backseat vs up front with me. But I also need the "trunk space" of a pick-up a few times a week. It gets pretty good gas milage @ 24 highway and 18 in town.

ORGINAL: Duckbutter48
How about clothes or shoes or anything you purchase, do any of you like how it looks or just worry about function?
Not thinking one should compare clothes to rifles, but hey, I'll play along. I am a jeans and boots man.. can you get more functional? You ever wear a "pretty" pair of boots that didn't "function" as designed? You try them on for fit and feel 1st, then worry about looks.

I have 2 Savage rifles and they shoot fine, they are ugly and the only complaint I have about them is their re-sale value is crap.
Comparing strictly on across the board on investment loss, yes I can see how you can say that. But to be down right technical about it, losing 20% of $400 comes out less then losing 10% of $1000.

When I goto the gun store I check out the rifles that feel good to me and catch my eye. From the prices of the highly engraved highly polished guns someone else must do the same and not mind paying for a nice looking gun.
Each to their own, for sure, gotta respect the rights of others opinions and tastes. And to be perfectly honest, I too will look at all the pretties and shiny's on the racks. But I always put them back and leave them behind because they don't fit MY concept of "functional". They are pretty to look at and hold, even close your eyes and imagine the ohhh's and ahhh's your buddies would give you. They make lovely range queens, but out in the Texas brush.. that resale value will take a beating in a hurry, much more than the 10% I mentioned above.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:39 AM

ORIGINAL: cma3366a

I assume you opt for painted steel rims, vinyl seats and floors, AM/FM/tape deckonly radio, Heat only? Or are you an Alloy, Cloth or leather, CD, Air Conditioning man ?
ROFL.. yes, I have AM/FM/Tape deck.. standard equipment.. along with the cloth seats and A/C. It's all standard nowadays, what manufacturer leaves out A/C? And every Ram on the lot that day had Alloy rims.. *shrug*
Must be a Texas/Southern thing..
Old 02-10-2007, 08:42 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-10-2007, 08:53 AM

ORIGINAL: cma3366a

Look up work truck package on Chevrolet.com
Oh.. they make functional work trucks?

Seriously, we use them.. have about 6 reasonably new ones. All with AM/FM no tape/CD.. A/C STANDARD. AUTO Trans STANDARD. We got one manual trans, only because it was a special request from another city to that dealer and never followed through. We got it for the SAME price as the other 5.
They barely meetOUR requirements for "functional" since they are underpowered engine wise (standard again) and we have a lot of rural outlaying area to our town. But like trucks you do get a few optional choices with Savage, like wood vs Synthetic stocks.
If your idea, CMA, for functional involves a deep high luster blue-ing and a full figured stock, fine have at it, that's YOUR choice. Mine is to have something I can "ride hard and put up wet" to use a southern phrase.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:04 AM

Okay, CMA, let's just end this since this ISN'T a Truck Forum. Comparing apples to oranges does nothing more then raise everyone's blood pressure. So let's break it down this way. Just because one person chooses to spend $400 instead of $1k on a rifle alone and gets the most functional one he can, doesn't make him a fool, cheapor anything else. It may be because he is "middle-class" and married w/children. It may be because of his chosen use for said weapon is going to be in hunting; mountainous orbrush country where value/durability/weight far exceeds looks. You are not standing in that man's shoes or boots and viewing the world from his eyes. Let people make their choices and you make yours and all will be well, voice your opinion and move on.

Quick Reply: Savage rifles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.