Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Laminate vs. Synthetic

Old 02-05-2007, 03:53 PM
Spike

Default Laminate vs. Synthetic

I have decided my next rifle will be a .243 which will be used for Antelope, Wolf (I hope) and Coyotes when its a little too windy for the .223. I have used a synthetic stock on my Ruger .270 for years and abused the heck out of it. I really like the looks of the laminate stocks and stainless barrels. From a performance standpoint, what are the advantages/disadvantages of each? I am looking at the Tikka, Ruger and Remington's which both have the option of laminate and synthetic stocks.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:04 PM

Default RE: Laminate vs. Synthetic

Laminates are more stable than walnut, but not as stable as snythetics. They look a lot better than synthetics though. I think they're a good compromise of looks and performance.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:13 PM

I really like the laminates they have a good feel to them. They feel like a wood stock and have a good weight to them. They feel solid when you hold them. The synthetic i was never a favorite of, but my friend has 1 that he wouldn't part with. So, I guess that means something.. anyways... have a great night
Old 02-06-2007, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Laminated stocks are indeed as stable as synthetic stocks,as my buddies in alaska tell me. I feel they would be in a good position/climate to find out. They are usually heavier however.
As far as synthetic stocks,there are actually 2 main types. First are the "lower end" injection molded. These stocks are not as stiff as other types.
The second kind is mostly hand laid layers of fiberglass,carbon,or other materials. These are more costly,but worth it.
One thing you should look for is a full length aliminum bedding block. This
is the most stable,rock solid,idiot proof method available to consumers, regardless of which type you buy.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:13 AM

Sometimes the synthetic stock feels better in your hands.. BF recently acquired an TC encore pro hunter.. tried synthetic and laminate thumbhole.. the synthetic was bigger.. wasn't as comfortable in his hands and laminate.. Now, he tried several rifles in sythetic and laminate and the synthetic felt better.. Easier to get his hands around.. You have to find and hold both.

As far as wear.. yes sythetic will hold up better but what would you be more comfortable holding ?
Old 02-06-2007, 08:32 AM

Yeah the injection molded synthetic stocks can be very flimsey, at least the one I have on my savage ML is flimsey.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the laminate thumb hole stocks. IMO they are more stable than most synthetics, not all, but most. Fairly inexpensive. Good looking. Downfall is their weight. IMO they are heavier. This is good for me, all my hunting is from a fixed position. Tom.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the laminates the best of all. I could care less about weight, at 6'3" 255lbs and a body builder that isnt even in my thoughts. I just like how they feel and look. I took the cheap a$$ stock off of my savage 116ffss .300 wm and bought a laminate from midway for about 170.00 now I really like it.When I can find my digital camera i'll take some photos
Old 02-06-2007, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would definately prefer laminate.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally I don’t think you can beat a GOOD synthetic stock for a hunting rifle but I sure like the looks and feel of a laminated stock...

Quick Reply: Laminate vs. Synthetic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.