Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

how to cook a deer tag?

Old 02-05-2007, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how to cook a deer tag?

Really? You filled your Dad's tag? Where I'm from that's a no-no.
Same here in IL, but some places do allow party hunting.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:33 AM

ORIGINAL: standsleeper

This is the first year I might have to eat a tag. I was wondering how to cook the darn think. Should I use some sauces or cook it on the grill? Maybe a nice stew? What is your favorite deer tag recipe ?

[/align]
I feel you brother. I did get a doe this year and missed a nice buck with bow, but have went seasons without getting anything. I think that you should bring your tag back to a license center and ask for a refund, as you got a defective tag!
Old 02-05-2007, 03:27 PM
Typical Buck

Redlion, I had my chances with a bow but never closed the deal. I tried to take my tag back , they offered no refund. I was due to have a bad season. I haven't had a truly bad year until this year.I guess it had to happen. I wounded my first deer. Had a clean miss on another nice buck. Found myself stuck in the periferal vision of the nicest buck I have seen since I've been hunting. I'm going to savor the taiste of this tag,and hope it is the last for a while.

[/align]
Old 02-05-2007, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: retrieverman

You can marinade your tag in Allegro, wrap it in bacon, and grill it. I believe that I could eat a dog turd if it were wrapped in bacon.
For those who are concerned about my eating habits, this is just an expression, and as far as having to eat a deer tag, I have been deer hunting for 25 years and have not had to eat a tag yet. I supplied venison for several low income families in my community this season, since my freezer is full of beef from a crippled Brangus bull that I had killed last summer.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I supplied venison for several low income families in my community this season
That was a nice thing to do.
Wanna donate some to Stand sleeper?

Did you have to payto get it processed, did youcutit yourself, or just drop off the deer and let therecipientstake care of it?

Up here in IL, my bowfishing club raises money for an organization called Illinois Sportsman Against Hunger. ISAG takes the money and uses it to defer the cost of processing donated venison so that the hunters and food pantries don't have to bear that burden. Does your state have something similar, or do you just give it away privately?

-Bulz
Old 02-05-2007, 08:21 PM
Typical Buck

I don't think anyone thought you actually ate poop. We were just funnin ya.

[/align]
Old 02-05-2007, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bulzeye

Did you have to payto get it processed, did youcutit yourself, or just drop off the deer and let therecipientstake care of it?
I process my own deer and took the recipients deboned meat already iced down. When we hunt our place in Oklahoma, my son and I donate all out deer to a "hunter's for the hungry" program. Up there though, we drop the field dressed deer off at a local processor who handles the distribution.