Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Choke Question

Old 01-30-2007, 03:29 PM

Default Choke Question

Hey guys i just bought myself the NEF Single Shot Pardner with 28" barrel and it came with the modified choke in it. First off can i fire slugs through it or just deer shot and trap loads. Second if i can't fire slugs through it what kind of choke should i buy for my gun?
Old 01-30-2007, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Choke Question

You "can" shoot rifled slugs through it, however, the manual advises againest it, and at any rate it will be more accurate with a more open choke. Try an Improved Cylnder (IC) or a straight Cylnder for slugs.

And remember, rifled slugs down a smooth barrel!
Old 01-30-2007, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

You really need a cylinder or improved cylinder choke for slugs. The more open,the better.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:51 PM

Ok, i was looking at the choke tubes they sell and they have an improved cylinder for $23. Is there anything else you guys can recommend i should get?

Another thing i am on their website currently and it says lead shot improved cylinder, i'm assuming this is the same you guys are talking about am i correct?
Old 01-30-2007, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yup-that's the choke ya need. Only other thing I can think of is a better way of aiming it. The cheapest sights I can think of is tru glo fiber optic type.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:08 PM

You guys rock seriously. My neighbor said something about fiber optic sights. I don't want the cheapest but not the most expensive. Any ideas?
Old 01-31-2007, 03:08 PM

All of my shotguns have actually been more accurate with the modified chokes in them. You really won't know until you try. Normally a modified or improved cylinder is what you would use for a Foster type slug. Won't hurt the gun at all. You could even shoot them thru a full choke if you wanted, probably wouldn't be very accurate, but it wouldn't hurt anything.

Fiber optic sights are very nice for smoothbore slug guns.

Something else to keep in mind, that gun is going to kick the crap out of you with a slug. They are pretty light.

I would get an IC choke just for the heck of it, and try both with some different brands of ammo to find what is the most accurate. Then you will have a more open choke for shot as well, like if you wanted to do some small game hunting on fast critters or skeet shooting.

Let us know how it goes.

Paul
Old 01-31-2007, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would go with the IC and Super Full for turkey. The fiber optic sights are great, I have the magnetic Tru-Glo that is installed on the vent rib on my 870.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:26 PM

Well i had a friend tcome over that knows way more about guns then i ever will and we broke the gun down to clean the barrel and oil it and such and he looked down the barrel and stuck his finger in the end of the barrel and turned to me and said this doesn't have a choke in it. I was like the box says modified choke and he said then its probably already built in to the barrel so to say and that i should be able to shoot slugs through it since its not an actual "choke". Is he correct? Can i shoot slugs through it if there is no real "choke" in it? Also he said if i wanted to put chokes in my gun i would have to get another barrel just so i could screw the chokes in. He told me to ask you guys but was "pretty sure" i could shoot slugs through my gun. What is your adivce? Is he correct?
Old 02-01-2007, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

The choke it has,is as real as any choke tube. All this means is it is fixed type choke. Yes,you can SAFELY shoot any slug out of this barrel.
I'm sure I will get bashed for this statement,but as long as you practice a little self control/common sense,modified choke is in my humble opinion,the best allround choke for a 1 gun/1 chokeman. Modified choke will work on 95% of shots on game with shot size,range,and shooter skill,taken into consideration.
A lil word of advise-stay away from 3" ("magnum")shotshells,and put a GOOD recoil pad on it.

Quick Reply: Choke Question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.