Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

why most hunting rifles bolt guns ?

Old 01-30-2007, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: why most hunting rifles bolt guns ?

You see alot of bolt actions, but I doubt if they are the leader. I would say that lever actions are first, by far. The I would say either bolts or even shotguns are next. Then semi's. Tom.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:42 PM

I believe that this is an old myth that is being slowly and quietly abolished. 40 years ago you did not have semi auto sniper rifle because they were not accurate enough to do the job.HKdestroyed thismisconception withthe introduction of theHK91.There is simply a lot less to go wrong with a bolt gun compared to a semi auto. I was raised in Pennsylvania where the rifles had to be manually operated.I do not believe thattodays semi auto is any less or more accurate thantodays bolt guns in my hands. I have no doubtif you are trying to shoot a 0.26 inch group at 600 yards a bolt gun is the way to go.A 0.26 inch group at 60 feet would be exceptional for me. Some day soon i will have my AR-15 upper with a 24 inch Kreiger barrel. I hope that it is more accurate than my 243 bolt.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just bought a Remington 750 Woodsmaster in 30-06 and I would put this gun up against any factory bolt gun
Old 01-30-2007, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

I like hunting with my lever (45-70) and bolt guns. I would neverhunt with a semi. I don't move around with a round in the chamber and can empty it with the bolt quickly and quietly by just pushing a round into the magazine. The idea of having to rack that action each time I wanted to chamber a cartridge seems like alot of noise.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have 2 Rem pumps 7600, 760 in270 and30-06 anda Ruger 44mag semi rifle. It all depends on what mood Im in for what gun I take out. The triggers are a big issue though, especially if you get used to a bolt with a 2-3lbs ish no-creep trigger.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:39 PM
Spike

Ill take another stab at this. Bolt actions offer number of advantages over most other options.

1.) Generally Bolt action rifles will be less expensive. As fewer moving parts will be simpler to manufacturer.
2.) Generally a bolt action will be easier to clean. There is a huge advantage in being able to clean your rifle from the breach.
3.) As a rule bolt actions will be more accurate. Due in part to number 2.
4.) KISS. The fact that the bolt action is a fairly simple mechanical device helps to insure reliability.
5.) If one is hunting in open country the long range accuracy of most bolt actions will be hard to beat. The flip side would be if you are hunting heavy cover and seldom expect a shot in excess of 40 yards. A shot gun may fit ones needs better.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'll say it again....Its all about the trigger....I'm so picky about my triggers that even my Remington 552..(bought new in 1965), my Remington 1100 (1975), my B-80 Browning (?1985) and my Remington 541-T (1995)have all had their triggers honed and polished...

Talk to any real good rifle shot...Most can't stand a heavy trigger or a trigger with creep or over travel...

I have shot some very good groups with very bad triggers...With both semi autos and bolt rifles...But they weren't my rifles...Most of the guys I know that have bolts have never had them adjusted...Until I let them shoot my guns...That is one of the first things I do...If I can't, it happens before it comes home....When I bought my Ruger .243 in 1980, I was 25 years old, and even at that young age I left the gun at the store to have the trigger adjusted to 2 1/2 pounds....

If someone could design a semi auto hunting rifle with a good clean trigger they could take the market by storm....The accuracy is there, a semi auto is plenty accurate for deer hunting...But a true rifleman demands a good trigger.