Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gunsmiths, glass bedding

Old 01-30-2007, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Gunsmiths, glass bedding

bc..... The last DBM I did was a Win. several years ago. I'm trying to remember if the whole mag. assy. came out or not. I guess what I want to tell you is I try to take all of the mag. assy. off the gun if I can. Does the metal box that the clip slides into not come off? In non-DBM's, I take out the mag. box and spring/follower. The cavity left in the stock is filled with clay about half full, making sure that it is even with the top of the cavity where the bottom of the action meets it.
After the epoxy has cured and you take it apart, it is a fairly easy job to remove what glass has accumulated ontop of the clay, and push the clay out. Same with trigger cavity. A Dremel Tool saves a lot of work both during the prep stages and the final dressing up. Just be "light-handed" with it. Hope this helped.......
Old 01-30-2007, 11:21 AM
bigcountry

Thanks guys, the trigger guard adn mag box (its Detach mag)is one piece. So I guess you answered my question. No need to pack full of clay? Just some on top.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Once again, I forgot to mention something.......You mentioned about getting a gun vise to do this with. Good idea, but remember that when you have the stock ready, the barreled action ready, and the epoxy mixed, you are going to have to have access to the action screws with a screwdriver in order to tighten them in once you get everything in place. This is where the inletting screws are so handy. I usually take a "dry run" at it before I put the epoxy on, just to make sure of no "surprises" at the moment of truth.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:25 AM
bigcountry

Good idea PA. They are hex bolt action screws so I thought I would use a regular allen screw L wrench.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

That'll work.........