Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

5.56/223 for elk/moose(don't flame me yet!)

Old 03-21-2007, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 5.56/223 for elk/moose(don't flame me yet!)

I remember when we went to the shooting range once, and we had one of those cast iron "whirly birds" for pistol shooting, on of those that's too big for .22 lr. Well, we had the brilliant idea of shooting an SKS at it, and I tell you, you never seen a clean hole till you seen what that 7.62x39 cartridge did to that thing!
Old 03-21-2007, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is what I have been saying. If it hits hardened steel,it is not going to make it. I have shot 1000's of them at different targets,As far the car/truck/jeep going through them. Just shoot a metal coffee can that is the skin of a car.Then hit the motor block,it will go into it cause it is cast.Then hit the crank shaft! thats the end of that bullet.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DANTHEHUNTER

That is what I have been saying. If it hits hardened steel,it is not going to make it. I have shot 1000's of them at different targets,As far the car/truck/jeep going through them. Just shoot a metal coffee can that is the skin of a car.Then hit the motor block,it will go into it cause it is cast.Then hit the crank shaft! thats the end of that bullet.
but it is possible for the bullet to miss the crank shaft, pistons, etc. on occaission.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:07 PM

I can tell you from personal expierence that a 5.56 will not go through and engine block. I know i have tried in combat. I will also tell you yes they will kill a moose. I have seen Caribou taken with a .223 and they were shot a few times in the lungs and they laid down after a bit and died. Moose can be killed with one as well. Moose tend to lay down soon after being hit so if you can shoot it a few times in teh lungs it will work. That being said there is now way in hell i would ever use on on even deer. The guys i saw do it were inuits and the ammo is cheap and plentiful and they are outstanding hunters. They would shoot the Moose and then stop for an hour or so and then go find the Moose. Never went to far but they were 50yrds away when shot and shot several times. you can kill a man with a bb gun but that does not mean it is an effective weapon
Old 03-23-2007, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: footballplaya

ok, first off let me say i WILL NOT DO THIS SO DON'T SET FIRE TO MY HOUSE.. here's the question.. sort of.. a .223/5.56 FMJ will go straight through an entire car(did it at the police academy, do not argue w/ me on this).. so if it'll go through a car, it will undoubtedly go through both shoulders of an elk/moose.. if it will go through both shoulders, wouldn't it break both shoulders rendering the animal w/ 2 broken shoulders and unable to run?? not that i'd do it, but it's just a question... it's probably not even legal.. would it work for deer too?? i'm just saying IF YOU HIT THE ANIMAL PERFECT, we're not arguing if it's right, wrong, or what if i miss.. just want some clearification...
at what angle did you shoot through a car?? if you shot from bumper to bumber either at the rear to the front or vice versa I will have to say you are full of it because a 5.56 even with a AP round wont pass through an engine block. now if you are talking in one side out the other like say you shot the passenger door and the bullet exited the driver door I will give ya that because it will... but a 45 acp pistol round will do that too, and you dont see anyone elk hunting with a 1911 do ya??
Old 03-23-2007, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Briman

The .223 was developed to be an anti-tank round, don't argue with me about this. An elk or a Moose wouldn't be a good test for the .223's ability, I suggest a Cape Buffalo or Hippo.
BLAHAHAH!! good one my friend
Old 03-23-2007, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: footballplaya

shucks, this got outta control
yep!! when you open a can of worms like that you gotta expect some mud flinging...let this be a lesson for future reference before you post a retarded thread like this one ask yourself the the question first and if you cant form any logical answer dont post the thread Capeesh!!
Old 03-24-2007, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Obviously, you didn't read the title of the thread.
"5.56/223 for elk/moose(don't flame me yet!) "
Sorry you didn't "get it".
Old 03-24-2007, 09:20 AM

I've been doing alot of research on ar-15s and I wouldn't recommend a .223/5.56mm NATO for anything larger than varmints. It will kill deer sure, but consider this. During the Blackhawk Down incident in Somalia, our guys recounted many times they were shooting terrorists multiple times (3-5 times) and they would just get right up and keep shooting back.

THAT prompted a series of (in some cases still ongoing) trials to find a better bullet - something that would knock something down and keep it down. This prompted the development of both the 6.8mm SPC that the Special Forces have adopted and the 6.5mm Grendel, which, if I remember correctly is ballistically superior to a .308 from muzzle to about 400 yards.

http://www.demigod.org/~zak/firearms/6.8SPC/faq.php

http://www.alexanderarms.com/grendel.htm

Old 03-25-2007, 01:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

yea but you forgot to mention that those somalians were high as kites and stoned out of their minds from a drug known as 'Khat' which has similar effects comparable to methamphetamine.

Quick Reply: 5.56/223 for elk/moose(don't flame me yet!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.