Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Saddle or Cantilever mount for shotgun.

Old 12-03-2002, 08:44 AM

Default Saddle or Cantilever mount for shotgun.

I'm looking to put a scope on my slug gun, and I'm wondering what the pros and cons are of the saddle mounts vs the cantilever mounts.

The mounts for my gun (Benelli Nova) seem to be about the same price, so that's not really a factor. To me, the saddle mount looks like it would be a bit more rugged, but it's hard to say.

I haven't been able to find any mounts locally, so I'll probably end up ordering online. It would be nice to hear from anyone with firsthand experience using these mounts on a Nova

Thanks,

Matt
Old 12-03-2002, 05:20 PM

Default RE: Saddle or Cantilever mount for shotgun.

I have no experience with the Nova, but I can tell you a little about the remington versions. I have a cantilever mount for my 11-87, and I have never had problems with it in terms of durability or accuracy. One day as I was boresighting it, however, i noticed that if I squeezed the scope down towards the receiver, (thus bending the mount downward), it would not return back to the same position when I released the squeezing pressure. This concerns me slightly, but I know that after I sight the gun in, I will not be squeezing the scope down or anything like that. I am usually pretty rough with my gun while out hunting in the field, and I have never had a problem with accuracy. Every shot I have taken with it on a deer has been very very deadly and accurate....just don't squeeze it once you sight the gun in. Another benefit of the cantilever is that you can take the barrel off for cleaning, and the scope will still be zeroed. With a saddle mount, you will have to re-zero your scope if you remove the barrel. hope this helps!

Rob
Old 12-03-2002, 08:20 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Saddle or Cantilever mount for shotgun.

cannelever, the only way to go. I messed around with those saddle mounts for years, and it was pain every year, since goose season is about the same time as deer season in MD.