Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

460Smith and scope

Old 01-25-2007, 07:02 PM
bigcountry

Default 460Smith and scope

my 460Smith pistol is destroying my scope. I have tried all kinds of rings. And currently using Warne magnum rings. And Its still moving in the rings. So bad, its shaving metal from my scope moving. This is my third set of rings.

Any ideas? This is a brand new elite 3200 scope too. I would lap the rings but its not easy to do cause of thier design, I have a hard time getting my lapping rod inside

http://www.warnescopemounts.com/cart/shopdisplaysubcat.asp?id=3&cat=Rings

Old 01-25-2007, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 460Smith and scope

I really can't offer you much advise, all I can tell you is I have a burris 2x7 on mine with burris rings and I haven't had any problems so far. Good Luck!
Old 01-25-2007, 10:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

BC, i can't really help, but i did read on here the other day that somone was concerned with recoil on a big rifle and the another personmentioned some rings that had a inner sleeve made from urathane or some other high durometer material, they mentioned scopes would stick like glue and not move at all, you may already be familiar with the particular rings (but just thought i'd mention them), i'll keep diggin and see if i can locate that post
Old 01-26-2007, 05:42 AM
bigcountry

What I don't understand is I have the performance model with 10.5" barrel. My recoil should be much less than the regular X frame guys. Maybe the warne magnum detachables are not round enough?

Old 01-29-2007, 10:02 AM
bigcountry

Well, I think I have fixed the issue.

I realize there is not much interest in this thread. But maybe some out here might have the same issue.

I shot sat, and sunday. The Warne Magnum Maximas with quick detach, cannot hold the scope securely enough. So I tried rings number 3. Warne Magnum fixed rings, and I shot some whammer of loads yesterday. I shot 20 rounds of 48gr of H110, and 240gr XTP, and anther 10 or so of factory 200gr SST's. With the fixed mounts on, the scope seems to be finally holding.

Good news is with the fixed rings, I am getting 2.0MOA at 100yards with my reloads. And back to getting 1.5MOA with factory ammo. Sat, with the detachs, I was lucky to get 6MOA at 100yards.

It appears the detachables are leaningforward when shot, cutting the metal on the bottom of the scope, and sliding in the top.

I would have never dreamed that this type of accuracy could be had with a revolver.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:13 AM
Typical Buck

I definatly had interest in the post, just not any advise!
I'm glad you found a solution and I will keep that in mind if I'm ever able to pick one of these up!

Good luck, sounds like you've got a tack driver there!
Old 01-29-2007, 01:17 PM

bigcountry, Glad to see you found a solution. I am surprised to hear the Warne Maxima QR's didn't work out. I have a set on my lightweight .375 H&H rifle, and a friend of mine had a set on his Performance Center .500 S&W for load development (his .500 doesn't shoot nearly as well as your .460, though). They seem to be working well, but I will certainly keep an eye on them. Thanks for the information.

Old 01-29-2007, 02:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Did you try the Weaver Quad Rings? Also maybe the T/C set up that uses three rings would work as well. That is if what you are using now should fail.

To each his own, the reason these guns never had appeal to me is that their weight and size rival that of a good carbine. For my use and ability the carbine is much more versitile. I am glad however that these guns have found some favor with shooters. Can't have to many options.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:14 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: James B

To each his own, the reason these guns never had appeal to me is that their weight and size rival that of a good carbine. For my use and ability the carbine is much more versitile. I am glad however that these guns have found some favor with shooters. Can't have to many options.
Carbine? Got one of those too. For my use a bow works for 90% of the time. Rest is just fun.

Old 01-29-2007, 02:15 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Dan in Alaska

bigcountry, Glad to see you found a solution. I am surprised to hear the Warne Maxima QR's didn't work out. I have a set on my lightweight .375 H&H rifle, and a friend of mine had a set on his Performance Center .500 S&W for load development (his .500 doesn't shoot nearly as well as your .460, though). They seem to be working well, but I will certainly keep an eye on them. Thanks for the information.
Dan, I am kinda surpised also. They feel solid as a rock.

Quick Reply: 460Smith and scope

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.