Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

mossberg or remington pump shotgun?

Old 01-25-2007, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default mossberg or remington pump shotgun?

What pump shotgun do people recommend mossberg 500 or remington 870? If I only wanted one shotgun to usefor everything from turkey to pheasant to home defense whichmodel woldyou recomend, and what length barrel?

I pretty much decided I dont need to shoot 3 1/2 inch shells, but something that can take both 2 3/4 and 3 would be nice.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:09 PM

Default RE: mossberg or remington pump shotgun?

i would go with the rem 870 i like the 870 alot, with a 28 in barrel
Old 01-25-2007, 05:15 PM

Personally I would go with the Mossberg 835. I've shot several 500's but I never liked one, they all felt like they were going to fall apart on me and I thought they were ugly. And all my friends have 870s and they've had plenty of jamming problem's and I have yet to have a problem with my 835. I've hunted with it during a rain storm and it slipped out of my hands and fell in the mud. I ended up rinsing it with water from my water bottle but I couldn't get a lot of the mud out, but I hunted with it anyway and ended up shooting a limit of ducks. WhenI got home I cleanded and oiled every part on the gun. And another plus is it's easy to take the action apart.

take-em

Old 01-25-2007, 06:38 PM

my first gun was a mossberg 500 w/ 30 inch barrel fixed full choke. its an absolute great gun and is about 20 years old. nothing fell apart and has a few scratches and extra barrels cost less than remington and u can also buy a muzzleloader barrel for about $100. stick to the mossberg. get a 24 or 28 inch barrl. its really easy to swing and is always dependable. i have accidentaly dry fired it probably aroun 300 times and the pin still hits as hard as when i first got it. didn't have to replace anythign soo far
Old 01-25-2007, 06:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

id go with a 26-28 inch barrel. i like short barrels for turkey and home defense..but longer ones when wing shooting..your gunna have to make the call. my turkey gun has a 21. my home defense guns have 18s. my bird guns have 28+ just my personal prefrence. if moneys an issue the mossberg is the way to go. they might be ugly. they might not have silky smooth actions..but ive beat the snot out of mine and it wont quit on me. never had a problem ever. one morning i was in and out of a canoe, wading through creek bottom swamps etc shooting heavy duck and goose loads. gun got wet etc. still kept shooting. jumped in the truck..grabbed lunch..came back and put a couple hundred rounds of light loads through it on the dove field. never cleaned it between or anything. just a good solid gun that will take all you can dish out. might not be pretty but they are hard to beat for the price.

i do own a remington or 2 as well. they feel better. look better. but cost more. ive never had a problem with my 870s either.

if you dont care about cost or looks or anything goto a gunshop and ask to see both the 500 and an 870. play with them..shoulder them..see what YOU like. i can find 500s used for about 125-135$..thats hard to pass up lol..
Old 01-25-2007, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have both, Mossberg 500 and a Remington 870. Niether one has given me any problems. But if it came down to one I'd keep the 870. No particular reason other than I've had it longer.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:50 PM
Fork Horn

Whats the difference between the mossberg 835 and the 500? I see the 835 takes 3 1/2 inch shell is that the main difference?
Old 01-25-2007, 08:22 PM

i'll sum up the answer, remington, remington, remington, remington, remington, remington, remington, remington, remington, remington, remington, remington, remington, remington, remington, remington, remington, remington, remington, remington, remington, remington! Although mossberg seems to be a decent gun I would never purchase a non Remington pump. I've got 3 right now, and they are amazing guns, one a 40y/o wingmaster works like brand new, smooth as can be, never a problem, got an express i've had for about 12 years now and its the pinnacle of a reliable shotgun. I'd probably shoot for a 24-26" barrel for all around, or just get a 28" vent ribbed and pick up a spare18" for about $110-120. Just up to you but you cant go wrong, walmart usually has the express mags for 220ish and supermags for 260-280ish.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:36 AM
Typical Buck

Mossberg 835.

Both that you listed are great guns too.

The Mossberg 500 offers:[*]Ported barrel on select 12-and 20-gauge models for reduced felt recoil and muzzle jump[*]12- and 20-gauge Accu-Choke™ tubes for lead, steel and other non-toxic loads[*]12- and 20-gauge fully-rifled slug barrel models with three different sighting options[*]Ambidextrous thumb-operated safety[*]12- and 20-gauge receivers drilled and tapped for scope base attachment[*]Fully-rifled .50 cal. in-line muzzleloader available[*]Windage and elevation adjustable fiber optic sights on all turkey models[*]Includes a free gun lock

The Mossberg 835 offers:

[ul][*]Shoots 12-gauge 2-3/4", 3" and 3-1/2" factory loaded shotshells[*]Available in 20", 24”, 26” and 28” barrel lengths[*]Positive steel-to-steel lock-up[*]Fully-rifled deer barrel models[*]Ulti-Full™ turkey tube models[*]Windage and elevation adjustable fiber optic sights on all turkey models[*]Fiber optic front sights on all waterfowl models[*]Ambidextrous, ultra-quiet thumb-operated safety[*]Non-slug models feature a wide rib with white front and brass mid-bead sights and overbored and ported barrels[*]Large selection of wood, synthetic and camo pattern models available[*]Interchangeable Accu-Mag™ choke tubes for lead, steel and other non-toxic loads[*]Receivers drilled and tapped for scope base attachment[*]Includes a free gun lock[*]All the bruising on your shoulder that you'll ever want when shooting 3 & 1/2" shells.[/ul][/align]

Old 01-26-2007, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I own them both. I like the safety on the mossberg a little better, but the Remington feels a little more solid IMO. I've never had any trouble with either one. The mossy looks a little better in my eyes with the blued barrel instead of the parkerized finish on the express, but both would serve you well. I prefer a 26 inch barrel.

Quick Reply: mossberg or remington pump shotgun?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.