Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

what slugs?

Old 01-24-2007, 06:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: what slugs?

ORIGINAL: bullet_magnet

hey guys what slugs should i be using with my 12 gauge mossberg 500? I've got a 24 inch slug barrel but im pretty sure its not rifled. I need to be using 3inch slugs, all help is appreciated thanks!
Back in the 60's BRI (Ballistic Research Institute) of California did extensive research with their slugs using the Mossberg 500. It is now knownas the Winchester BRI., but it's a Sabot for Rifled Barrels.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

ORIGINAL: bullet_magnet

hey guys what slugs should i be using with my 12 gauge mossberg 500? I've got a 24 inch slug barrel but im pretty sure its not rifled. I need to be using 3inch slugs, all help is appreciated thanks!
Back in the 60's BRI (Ballistic Research Institute) of California did extensive research with their slugs using the Mossberg 500. It is now knownas the Winchester BRI.
In the early 70's, I tested these BRI slugs in an Ithaca Deerslayer smoothbore which was quite accurate with Remington Foster-type slugs, 3"-4" at 100 yards. There were very few rifled shotgun barrels at that time, and BRI claimed these slugs could be used in smoothbores. These slugs were .50 cal., and housed in a two-piece plastic discarding sabot, much like the fin-stabilized, long-rod penetrator armor-piercing projectiles used in tank guns.

These BRI's would not shoot from mysmoothbore, some even breaking in half, and making two lopsided holes in the target (50 yds). A couple hit point-on, most hit sideways, and two or three broke in half through the waist section.

This was BEFORE the makers announced that the bores had to be rifled. They were supposed to fly point-on from a smooth bore because they were "shaped like a dart" with a plastic plug in the hollow rear section-allegedly "fin-stabilized". Obviously, this idea did not work at all. Subsequently, they decided that a rifled barrel was necessary to shoot them. Then Winchester bought the design, and I guess they still make them (but the ones I tested were in a white & blue box labelled "Smith & Wesson - BRI"!!

(If you take a look in the old, original Lyman Black Powder Handbook, they shot some of these slugs from a .75 cal. smoothbore Brown Bess flintlock musket using black powder. Darned if the Bess didn't shoot them better than my Deerslayer!!)
Old 01-24-2007, 07:04 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

Obviously, this idea did not work at all. Consequently, they decided that a rifled barrel was necessary to shoot them.

Back in the 60's BRI (Ballistic Research Institute) of California did extensive research with their slugs using the Mossberg 500. It is now knownas the Winchester BRI., but it's a Sabot for Rifled Barrels.

Old 01-24-2007, 07:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Obviously, this idea did not work at all. Consequently, they decided that a rifled barrel was necessary to shoot them.

You are right, but at first, BRI DID NOT STATE that they had to be used in a rifled bore-quite the contrary, actually!
Old 01-24-2007, 08:19 AM
Dominant Buck

You are right, but at first, BRI DID NOT STATE that they had to be used in a rifled bore-quite the contrary, actually!
Many people on this forum don'teven know what BRI is, only the Old Timers.I have been shooting them since 1980 and still havesome boxes on the shelf.

Never have shot one out of a smooth barrel. Mossberg 500Rifled, Moss 835 rifled andBRN A-5 withHastings Paradox.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

bullet,
Haven't used either in copule years but I have 2 500's.One with modified vent rib smooth bore.The other has rifled slug barrel w/cantilever scope mount.I've shot a *****pot full of deer with both these guns.After years/decades foolin with various brands of slugs in both these guns,I've always ended up going back to the Federals.
I'd give them a try and then work up from there.Don't forget - make sure everything else;scope,sights,barrel is up tight,clean etc.. before yoo go out popppin off a 2-3-4 boxes of slugs.Gets expensive and hard on the shoulder!
Old 01-28-2007, 10:56 AM
Fork Horn

why dont you try the new hornady sst slugs they are very accurate and can be shot at longer distances than regular slugs.the lightfield slugs are also a good choice