Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

semi auto or pump

Old 01-22-2007, 06:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default semi auto or pump

im debating on a pump or a semi auto shot gun what is the best pump and seni autos and whats the pros and cons of each. i have herd that the semi autos will run out of gas and are around 300 to replace the gas chamber is this true?
Old 01-22-2007, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: semi auto or pump

ORIGINAL: yatesm

i have herd that the semi autos will run out of gas and are around 300 to replace the gas chamber is this true?
That has got to be the most retarded thing I have ever heard...on any forum....anywhere.

Someone is jerking you around man. The "gas" you hear about, meaning a gas operated semi auto...used the gas from the firing of the shell to cycle the action. Everytime you fire...you are making your own "gas" so to speak.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:35 PM

it all depenes on wut u like i have a pump and a semi auto they are both great guns but it depens on wut your hunting too for bird hunting like pheasant or quail i would go for the semi auto but what ever you like
Old 01-23-2007, 12:46 AM

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

i have herd that the semi autos will run out of gas and are around 300 to replace the gas chamber is this true?
That has got to be the most retarded thing I have ever heard...on any forum....anywhere.

Someone is jerking you around man. The "gas" you hear about, meaning a gas operated semi auto...used the gas from the firing of the shell to cycle the action. Everytime you fire...you are making your own "gas" so to speak.
I would get a Remington 870 Express. Very Dependable.

I have always liked a pump, no good reason.

I feel that a follow up shot can only be made as fast as the shooter can recover from the recoil. Plenty of time to work the slide.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:37 PM

I'd go with one of the new environmental friendly solar powered automatics, the gas autos are ruining the environment!

Actually it just boils down to what you prefer. A good quality pump will usually cost a good bit less than a smiliar quailty auto. I grew up shooting over and unders and still can't get used to hunting with pumps, so I prefer autos.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:23 PM

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

That has got to be the mostbrillant thing I have ever heard...on any forum....anywhere!

Someone has been jerkingme around man. You mean that the "gas" you hear about, meaning a gas operated semi auto...uses the gas from a 5 gallon tank to cycle the action? Everytime you fire...you are using about a $1.89 of your own "gas" so to speak?
Fixed.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:48 AM
Fork Horn

Wow.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:43 PM

YES! I think I heard this in the PETA Consumer Reports! and to boot they shoot candy and lollipops!
ORIGINAL: Tony Orlando and Dawn

I'd go with one of the new environmental friendly solar powered automatics, the gas autos are ruining the environment!
Old 01-26-2007, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Guys? This may be a child or new hunter/shooter. We were all ignorant on this subject at one point and continue to be ignorant on others.

Yatesm,
A pump shotgun is much simpler. You use your force to load the next round and eject the last shell, so it is supposed to be more reliable. Not sure that this really matters since many of the auto loaders are reliable and I don't think you're going into combat. Pumps are usually cheaper as well.
Auto loaders will provide you with two benefits that I think are important. Quick recovery time and less recoil. Since Newton proved with his third law that every action has an equal and opposite reaction, and we're using that reaction to both eject the spent shell and load the next, so, the felt recoil is greatly reduced, which allows for faster recovery and second shot.
Also a very strong felt recoil can make you develop a flinch, with is never good.

Good luck,
KP
Old 01-26-2007, 12:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've got a Remington 11-87 Semi Auto. Thousands and Thousands of rounds through it andnever had a single problem with reliability. Not one. So, my personal opinion is that if someone is trying to sell pumps as being "more reliable" I would disagree with that. The ONLY advantage that I can see with a pump action is that they are cheaper.