Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

best short action round

Old 01-25-2007, 11:45 AM

Default RE: best short action round

Alright, you guys win, you can get a .300 Win mag or a .300 WSM, they will both do the same things, equally.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pighunter56

ORIGINAL: trailer

the .300 Win Mag loads were usually right on the money, or prtty close.
To what, reloading manuals or what’s advertised for ammo from manufactures?...
A combo of both.
I don’t know. I’m not going to argue but I don’t see why the 300 Win. Mag would any different then any other cartridge and I’m not just talking about the WSM. For instance, when I reload for my 7 mm-08, I don’t get velocities printed in reloading books when I’m reloading a particular recipe, so why would the 300 Win. Mag. be any different ?...
Old 01-25-2007, 12:39 PM

I like my brownings too. I know all my guns are reliable, and work as expected, but there is something about the fit and finish of the browning that exceeds expectations. It is also a beautiful gun. I would own all brownings if they made them in the same specs as the other brands I own. But as far as the caliber goes, get the .308. Most all of your hunting shots would easily come within the normal effective range of the .308, and if you did have some long ( 400 - 500yards ) shots it can do that too. Also , if you are wanting a little more performance out of it, then go buy some Hornady light or heavy magnum ammo. You will come out leaps and bounds ahead with that rig. And the light and / or heavy magnum ammo really does the job and is quality stuff. On the other hand, you can go just about anywhere and find .308 ammo, and you can't say that about the wsm round. But there is nothing wrong with the wsm. I am not gonna slam it. I dont own one ( never really saw the need for it ) but it will do the job too. But dead is dead, and the .308 will meet your needs.

God bless, and good luck.

Michael

Old 01-25-2007, 01:06 PM

A combo of both.
I don’t know. I’m not going to argue but I don’t see why the 300 Win. Mag would any different then any other cartridge and I’m not just talking about the WSM. For instance, when I reload for my 7 mm-08, I don’t get velocities printed in reloading books when I’m reloading a particular recipe, so why would the 300 Win. Mag. be any different ?...
Trailer, its over, I'm through argueing, man. For the most part, velocities arnt all that different. Dead is dead
Old 01-25-2007, 10:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

A combo of both.
Trailer don't sweat it!! Those who actually reload and own chrono's know what your speaking is true. Skepticalfrom experience of published data!!

Old 01-26-2007, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

The best short action cartridge is the .308 Winchester.

25-06 Remington is pretty good too.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: younggun243

The best short action cartridge is the .308 Winchester.

25-06 Remington is pretty good too.
25-06 Rem is a long action cartridge.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Really? Okay.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

25-06 Rem is a long action cartridge.
Bingo...[8D]
Old 01-26-2007, 11:43 AM

ORIGINAL: MichaelT.

I like my brownings too. I know all my guns are reliable, and work as expected, but there is something about the fit and finish of the browning that exceeds expectations. It is also a beautiful gun. I would own all brownings if they made them in the same specs as the other brands I own. But as far as the caliber goes, get the .308. Most all of your hunting shots would easily come within the normal effective range of the .308, and if you did have some long ( 400 - 500yards ) shots it can do that too. Also , if you are wanting a little more performance out of it, then go buy some Hornady light or heavy magnum ammo. You will come out leaps and bounds ahead with that rig. And the light and / or heavy magnum ammo really does the job and is quality stuff. On the other hand, you can go just about anywhere and find .308 ammo, and you can't say that about the wsm round. But there is nothing wrong with the wsm. I am not gonna slam it. I dont own one ( never really saw the need for it ) but it will do the job too. But dead is dead, and the .308 will meet your needs.

God bless, and good luck.

Michael
thats the best thing ive seen in here yet. i agree with you totally about Brownings, fit and finish, accuracy and overall quality. am convenced im getting a 308 win and if i think i need more power ill get some light mags. im not the type to shoot an anamal at 400-500 yards so ill be just fine. im just wondering if i would show up at the door of an guide/outfitter with a 308 win and say "im ready to go elk hunting", would he look at me strange and tell me "not with that pop gun." id much rather be able to put one in the pump room than one in the ass end of an elk. and with that rifle id bet i could shoot it alot more and in turn be more confadent with it. any insight to anything ive said would be great.

Quick Reply: best short action round

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.