Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

best short action round

Old 01-23-2007, 02:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: best short action round

Ruger is chambering the .338 Fed in the new Hawkeye. You might want to take a look at that.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

.308 hands down. 7mm-08 would be a close second.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: tmeservey

I know my150 grain winchester supreme BST is going a good 3300 FPS when I hunt deer.
Are you speaking from running them over a chrony out of your rifle or what the box tells you? I suspect the later since that is what is on the box! You may be suprised if you run themacross a chrony. Even if the numbers are remotely close on the boxes the difference between the 2amounts to very little. I don't think you'll find to many that have found the 300wsm out performs its300 wm counterpart in terms of performance levels but it does offer differences with similar performance of upto 180 gr bullets.If yougo above the 180 gr bullet class the 300 WMgets the nod.

Nothing wrong with either of these cratridges IMHO and game won't know the difference as stated previously. I think both have a place in the market and will be in demand for years to come.

Old 01-23-2007, 02:45 PM

skeeter- point well taken and I agree. But when you compare the 300 WSM and 300 WM up to 180 grains, they are comparable but the WSM has better ballistics. Lets go back to my deer load senario in the Winchester Ballistic Silvertips.....my 300WSM is @ traveling 3300fps....the 300 WM is traveling @ 2950 fps. Not really a big deal but could be a deciding factor for a guy like me that wants every edge possible.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:53 PM

sorry, I have to correct myself. The win Mag is going closer to 3250fps. Both good guns.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:00 PM

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

Ruger is chambering the .338 Fed in the new Hawkeye. You might want to take a look at that.
i looked and only found it in stainless and black stock, man i would like it in wood and blued. any were i might find something like that...you got me thinken hard now. thanks much
Old 01-23-2007, 03:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

I can see no reason that the 270 and 300 WSM would ever fall by the way side. There have been thousands already sold and in my area they are out selling all other cartridges. They deliver the same
me performance in a much shorter action. For me personally, the 308 is all I would ever need. I mean the 308 and the other cartridges based on its casing. The 338 Federal would be the perfect bigger rifle for me. That would just be for Moose and the big bears even though the 308 would probabbly also do it all.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:43 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: BRIZBO

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

i looked and only found it in stainless and black stock, man i would like it in wood and blued. any were i might find something like that...you got me thinken hard now. thanks much
Ruger is currently on chambering it for the All-Weather version of the Hawkeye. Tikka will chamber it in the T3...I've heard all versions, including the Hunter, which has a wood stock.

I will be getting one of the Ruger hawkeye All-Weather models in .338 Federal soon...I think it will be perfect for me!

And...I don't know if Big Green is listening, but a Mountain Rifle in .338 Federal would be awesome!
Old 01-24-2007, 01:04 PM

Not really a big deal but could be adeciding factor for a guy like me that wants every edge possible.
LOL, you arn't gonna see a difference in on game performance between the .300 WSM and .300 Win Mag, and, that, I can guarantee.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:06 PM

sorry, I have to correct myself. The win Mag is going closer to 3250fps. Both good guns.
Ok, that settles it, the .300 WSM does not outdo the .300 Win Mag, and will not replace it.

Quick Reply: best short action round

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.