Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

best short action round

Old 01-22-2007, 08:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: best short action round

For the question posed...a 358 win (maybe the 308 if bear wasnt thrown in)
Old 01-22-2007, 08:56 PM
Typical Buck

Recoil will be punishing with a Micro Medallion in .325 WSM.

I'd go with a .308 if cheap ammo is your main concern. If not, a hunter is pretty wll set up for anything with your .25-06 and a new .338 Federal.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:22 PM
Typical Buck

Ialso favor the .300 WSM. Ibought one this spring and took three deer with it this fall. Great for long range deer hunting or general big game hunting. I prefer the .30-06 for deer under 200 yards. The 300 WSMtravels so quickly at short ranges, it passes through deer without delivering all its energy. I might try a ballistic tip bullets next year.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:26 PM

I like the 308. To me its the best short actionfornormalhunters and shooters. Very capable at longer ranges. Easy to find cheap and premium ammo.
300wsm betterfor the long range hunters and shooters.
Black Bear and Elk will be the same amount of dead or woundeddepending on shot placement, with either one.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:10 AM

Get the 300 WSM and don't look back. I researched before I bought mine. I'm a traditional 270 win deer guy but after deciding on the 300 wsm, I'm definetely very happy. I know the cartridge to be very accurate and I love a short action bolt in the classic model 70 reciever. This cartridge is a best seller now in most gun shops, ask around and you will see. I'd say it is as versitile as a 30-06 with slightly better ballistics as a bonus. Deer I would fire a 150 0r 165 graner, Elk even moose, the 180 grain will give em a wallup!
Old 01-23-2007, 09:23 AM

ORIGINAL: tmeservey

Get the 300 WSM and don't look back. I researched before I bought mine. I'm a traditional 270 win deer guy but after deciding on the 300 wsm, I'm definetely very happy. I know the cartridge to be very accurate and I love a short action bolt in the classic model 70 reciever. This cartridge is a best seller now in most gun shops, ask around and you will see. I'd say it is as versitile as a 30-06 with slightly better ballistics as a bonus. Deer I would fire a 150 0r 165 graner, Elk even moose, the 180 grain will give em a wallup!
I don't know where you get your info, but i haven't seen any of the WSM's in the top 10 sales list of major firearms distributors.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:54 AM

Shooters Sporting Goods-woman who owns it tells me regularly, Salesman at Gander Mountain, Kingston NYhas sold more WSM than the 30-06 or 270, or so he says., have 3 friends that just purchsed three 300WSM's....two after Christmas, the other about a week ago. I purchased one 3 weeks ago myself.Just some first hand knowledge I personally was told and have seen. Not to mention all theOutdoor Channel programs. Many of the gun/hunting journals have all good things to say about these cartridges. Bass Pro Shops hunting show has supported these short mags calibers in all their gear discriptions before their hunts. the 300WSMand 325 WSM is usedalmost exclusively by their staff. Many other hunting showshave these popular WSM's on all the time. They are being bought and are very popular.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:59 AM

ORIGINAL: tmeservey

Shooters Sporting Goods-woman who owns it tells me regularly, Salesman at Gander Mountain, Kingston NYhas sold more WSM than the 30-06 or 270, or so he says., have 3 friends that just purchsed three 300WSM's....two after Christmas, the other about a week ago. I purchased one 3 weeks ago myself.Just some first hand knowledge I personally was told and have seen. Not to mention all theOutdoor Channel programs. Many of the gun/hunting journals have all good things to say about these cartridges. Bass Pro Shops hunting show has supported these short mags calibers in all their gear discriptions before their hunts. the 300WSMand 325 WSM is usedalmost exclusively by their staff. Many other hunting showshave these popular WSM's on all the time. They are being bought and are very popular.
Can you explain to me the PRACTICAL advantage they have over the original line of Winchester Mags, and no, I'm not talking about gun weight, and other BS factors, tell me if they are better than the belted magnums.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:03 AM

ORIGINAL: Pighunter56

Can you explain to me the PRACTICAL advantage they have over the original line of Winchester Mags, and no, I'm not talking about gun weight, and other BS factors, tell me if they are better than the belted magnums.
Well Pig,

They are top sellers, they are extremely popular. The WSM line is an overwhelming success. I personally think that the 300 wsm and 270 wsm are excellent cartridges. I can't say that they are better or worse than other cartridges but they are a viable alternative. I prefer the 300 wsm I own to other 300 win that I've owned over the years because it is more accurate.

Can you explain to me why you are so adamately opposed to them?
Old 01-23-2007, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe they are better than the belted magnums. The best reason, IMO, is that they headspace off the shoulder, and not off the belt. Overall a cartridge is more accurate if it headspaces off of the shoulder, instead of the belt. I also belive a short action is more accurate than a long action. I also believe the shorter, fatter case gives better powder(consistent) burn.

I will not argue about here today and gone tomorrow. Who cares, I may be gone tomorrow.I would not buy the new cartridge if I bought factory rounds. However I reload and the price for reloading is about the same. Maybe a little more because I have to buy the brass. If I was buying factory ammo, I would buy a 30-06. But since I am reloading, I enjoy the extra performance. Tom.

Quick Reply: best short action round

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.