Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

45/70 help

Old 01-22-2007, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 45/70 help

Cougar , the 4570 wil not kick anywhere as much as a 12 gauge 3 1/2 mag shooting 2 onces of turky shot , that load equals the kick of a 416 rigby , depending on rifle weight of coarse .
Old 01-22-2007, 01:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Pighunter56

Cougars, if you see this, don't believe it., eldeguello didn't get that bullet to go 2270 FPS.
Hog, I don't know whether you know this or not, but all rifles are individuals. Since you have no idea how my particular rifle, or a particular lot of powder, or batch of bullets, may perform in MY GUN, all you are doing by insisting that I was not able to get 22760 FPS from mine with a 400-grain bullet merely demonstrates your abysmal ignorance! Just how in hell do you presume to know what my gun is capable of, just because yours tops out at 2140, anyway? You don't even know how long my barrel is, the type or amount of powder I used, what the cases or primers were.........

As for your uninformed assertion that my "chronograph is too close", please be advised that I have chronographed this particular load with four different chronographs - an ITCC, an Oehler, a Chrony Beta model,and an Army doppler radar chronograph at Ft. Sill OK that was being used to test 155mm howitzerammunition. BTW, none of them were "too close".......

That velocity of 2270 FPS was AN AVERAGE OF 40 ROUNDS fired throiugh four different chronographs, over a period of five years, andmeasured at 10 feet from the muzzle. So the ACTUAL average muzzle velocity was in the vicinity of 2285 FPS or so.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:56 PM

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

Cougars, if you see this, don't believe it., eldeguello didn't get that bullet to go 2270 FPS.
Hog, I don't know whether you know this or not, but all rifles are individuals. Since you have no idea how my particular rifle, or a particular lot of powder, or batch of bullets, may perform in MY GUN, all you are doing by insisting that I was not able to get 22760 FPS from mine with a 400-grain bullet merely demonstrates your abysmal ignorance! Just how in hell do you presume to know what my gun is capable of, just because yours tops out at 2140, anyway? You don't even know how long my barrel is, the type or amount of powder I used, what the cases or primers were.........

As for your uninformed assertion that my "chronograph is too close", please be advised that I have chronographed this particular load with four different chronographs - an ITCC, an Oehler, a Chrony Beta model,and an Army doppler radar chronograph at Ft. Sill OK that was being used to test 155mm howitzerammunition. BTW, none of them were "too close".......

That velocity of 2270 FPS was AN AVERAGE OF 40 ROUNDS fired throiugh four different chronographs, over a period of five years, andmeasured at 10 feet from the muzzle. So the ACTUAL average muzzle velocity was in the vicinity of 2285 FPS or so.
The more you have to build your story up, the less credibility you have, there is no way in HELL that you got 2270 with a 400 gr bullet, that is near 416 Rem mag velocities with the same bullet weight, are you saying that you can duplicate this with the senile 45-70? Don't get me wrong, the 45-70 is a great cartridge, but, you did not get 2270 FPS, I dont care if you used a 32" barrel with 70.0 grains of powder, you didn't achieve that velocity, and you know it.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:28 PM

Eldeguello, I'm just curious, what is the load that you are using to get that velocity? Also, what firearm are you using?
-
Old 01-22-2007, 02:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Take a look at the NEF Handi rifle. The 45-70 neing a rimmed vartridge work real well in the NEF. A new one would run about 200-250 follars. You can also send them in to NED for addition barrel pretty cheap. The actions are strong enough for yje Marlin level loads and will handle the lower level Ruger loads as well.
I took a 500 + lb Black bear with mine using the 350 grain Hornady RN.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

The more you have to build your story up, the less credibility you have, there is no way in HELL that you got 2270 with a 400 gr bullet, that is near 416 Rem mag velocities with the same bullet weight, are you saying that you can duplicate this with the senile 45-70? Don't get me wrong, the 45-70 is a great cartridge, but, you did not get 2270 FPS, I dont care if you used a 32" barrel with 70.0 grains of powder, you didn't achieve that velocity, and you know it.
[/quote]

Gee, HOG! I have low credibility with you, eh? Now, THAT's truly a problem!!

FYI, the load I USED was 60 grains of HERCULES RE 7 powder, Remington cases, Barnes Original 400-grain semispitzer bullets, and Federal 210 primers. Now, that powder is gone. I have no idea if the current Alliant RE 7 is anywhere near the same, as I have not tried it yet, and don't need to,since I still have around 60 rounds of that old load left. But I have heard it is FASTER. If so, 60 grains of it might be too much.

BTW, the .416 Rem., and the .416 Rigby, both have almost2400 FPS with the factory 400-grain bullets. But it is a little easier to get comparable velocities with a 400-grain .458 bullet, because it has lower inertia. The ONLY limiting factor on higher velocities in a 45/70 is the limited POWDER SPACE.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:44 PM

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

Gee, HOG! I have low credibility with you, eh? Now, THAT's truly a problem!!

FYI, the load I USED was 60 grains of HERCULES RE 7 powder, Remington cases, Barnes Original 400-grain semispitzer bullets, and Federal 210 primers. Now, that powder is gone. I have no idea if the current Alliant RE 7 is anywhere near the same, as I have not tried it yet, and don't need to,since I still have around 60 rounds of that old load left. But I have heard it is FASTER. If so, 60 grains of it might be too much.

BTW, the .416 Rem., and the .416 Rigby, both have almost2400 FPS with the factory 400-grain bullets. But it is a little easier to get comparable velocities with a 400-grain .458 bullet, because it has lower inertia. The ONLY limiting factor on higher velocities in a 45/70 is the limited POWDER SPACE.
[/quote]
Sure you did, its always the same, I used an out of production powder, I used an out of production bullet.But, if you wanna prove it, I'll be in Pittsburgh next month, bring your gun, ammo, and chrony, and put your money where your mouth is. You won't show, because you are BSing.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

You won't show, because you are BSing.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:33 PM

I do believe if Buffalo Bore can do 2200 fps, than 2270 is not out of the question. For the sake of not starting an battle of words, I won't mention how many fps I can push a 700gr bullet out of a S/W 500.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey eldequello,why are you of all people on here arguing with him. You have been a source of great info for us all. Dont allow him to do that to you. I have loaded some really hot 45/70 ammo my self but it wont shoot good from my rifles. So I tamed it down ,pushing a 350 grain rn with 54grain varget at around 1950fps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.