Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

buying a new shotugn

Old 01-19-2007, 01:53 PM

Default buying a new shotugn

start by saying hello to everyone i am new to the forum, well i am going to buy a new shotgun for mainly turkey but also deer and rabbit, so my question is what do you think of a mossberg 935 with a 26 inch barrel in camo, i am also looking at the spartan 453 semi-auto i hear good reviews of both but i dont know what one to buy, any thoughts?
Old 01-19-2007, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: buying a new shotugn

I'd go with the first wordin your screen name, but I favor the Remingtons. Just my opinion
Old 01-19-2007, 02:28 PM

i do like the remington rifles but i dont know about the shotgun, i like the safety on the mossberg and i have limited funds
Old 01-19-2007, 06:55 PM
Typical Buck

If you have limited funds and don't need a semi-auto, look at the 835's. Walmart has 'em dirt cheap. If you need the semi-auto, then yeah, it's a great shotgun.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer a pump gun for turkey hunting, owing to the fact that it is lighter in weight. I shoot an 835, and it is an exclusive turkey gun.

The 935 would be okay, but it is pretty heavy...I wouldn't want to carry it around all day chasing birds in the Texas heat. Moreover, you can only shoot magnum 3" and 3.5" shells out of it...not really a rabbit load...unless you like hash.

I think that pride of the Urals Spartan gun is a total abortion. I glad that some folks have had good luck with them...and I hope they continue to do so...as for me and my house, we will avoid them like plague.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:26 PM
Typical Buck

[/align]I shoot the 835. It's a great gun. Patterns well for me . A little heavier than the standard 12 g pump but worth the extra weight. Remington makes a fine gun as well,but a little pricier.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:32 PM

thanks for all the replies but i didnt hear much about the spartan i still would like to know some about them if you guy have any info on them
Old 01-20-2007, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do not know anything about the Spartan. I can honestly say that I never heard of it.

The Mossberg 835 is an excellent shotgun. One thing that no one mentioned yet. If you shoot 3 1/2 inch turkey loads, be prepared to have your head kicked off. The first one I shot brought blood to two of my knuckles. I was using an oak tree to steady the shotgun on a paper target. I had my knuckles against the bark, and it brought the blood.

To lessen the recoil go with a gas operated semi, or be "PREPARED". Tom.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:43 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah, like HEAD0001 said, it's a kicker with the 3 1/2's...that's for sure.

Old 01-20-2007, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Spartan 310 (single trigger O/U). It's a very well made firearm. I'd say it's a step above my 870 in fit and finish. I haven't had a chance to fire it yet (Christmas present), but I've fired some snap caps in it and I really like the feel. Baikal makes quality firearms.

I haven't had a look at a 453, but I will probably consider one eventually.

Quick Reply: buying a new shotugn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.