Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Camo dipping--any good?

Old 01-19-2007, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Camo dipping--any good?

Has anyone ever had a gun dipped? Im getting a new Rem 700 action/barrel and am kicking around what stock to get for it. I been eyeing up a camo synthetic style for awhile. Cabelas has the Rem factory stuff for 99$ and the Bell and Carlison for 179$.

I called the local Gander Mountain and asked about the cost of a camo stock. He said they'd have to order it and the would be from 150-200$ depending on the style. The gunsmith asked me if I thought about getting a camo dip on the stock or whole gun. I didnt have much of an answer since I've never seen one done. He said they could dip whole gun for 190$ or just stock for 130$, he said it looks the same as the new guns in the store. I dont have a camo gun and really wanted to go that way with this project. Any thoughts on diping or just getting a camo sythetic stock, he said I could by the black synth. stock (if I want synth.)or get the original wood stock I currently have done??

Old 01-19-2007, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Camo dipping--any good?

I had seen the camo dipping procedure done on one of the hunting shows one year. From what I can remember it’s sprayed with a primer and then dipped into some kind of liquid onto a thin camo membrane. The final step is to spray it with some kind of clear finish. There was a good selection of camo patterns to pick from. They had done the rifle and scope and the end result was impressive from what I could see however I’m not sure on durability. Personally I would go with a synthetic camo stock for durability. Good luck...
Old 01-19-2007, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think someone had his CVA Optima dipped?? Try searching this site for "Duracoat"
Old 01-19-2007, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Heres a link to cammo dipping. Was thinking about doing my handi hornet.

http://duracoatinc.com/?uid=16588&page=3720
Old 01-19-2007, 06:06 PM

I believe that Savage has just come out with a new predator gun dipped on the model 10 action. I saw the add in a predator hunting mag and from the pic, it looks very well done. Entire rifle is camo'd.
Could be a hot seller for the new rifle buyer into predators.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:20 PM

OK- here it is: Not on Savage's web site yet, but in Feb 2007 edition of " Predator Xtreme" on page 44 is the ad for this rifle. Its called the Savage Predator Hunter.
Based on the model 10 action, Accutrigger, button rifled barrel, polished and super tight tolerances making it one of their best out of the box accuracy rifles! Heavy sporter 22" BBL. Composite stock, sling swivels, blind magazine.
Then whole rifle is dunked in MossyOak camo. Weaver style factory installed scope bases.
I think I'd buy this if I hadn't just purchased a .243 for 'yotes!
Old 01-19-2007, 09:09 PM
Host of Hosts

I has a stock done last year through Gander Mountain. It was a Walnut stock for a Marlin MR-7 bolt action 270. I had it done in Mossy Oak Obsession. It turned out great. And the finsih is hard as nails. I was a bit leary about having a wooden stock dipped, but I'm glad I did it.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:13 PM
Host of Hosts

Here's a picture of the stock I had dipped.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:33 AM
Typical Buck

So you haven't had any problems with it as far as scratching or flaking off?

Old 01-21-2007, 07:03 PM
Host of Hosts

So you haven't had any problems with it as far as scratching or flaking off?
No problem with it at all. It won't ever flake off, as far as scratching I tried with my fingernail and couldn't make a mark on it.

Quick Reply: Camo dipping--any good?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.