Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

scope question for 30-06

Old 01-17-2007, 08:33 AM

Default scope question for 30-06

I just got a savage 30-06 classic and got a nikon monarch 3-9x40BDCmatte for christmas and was wondering which scope base & ringswas best to use to mount this. I asked the gun smith in my area that is a complete a$$hole and he told me any of them are good. What do you want !! So, I'm going to drive elsewhere to have it mounted just wondering whatI should ask for in term of quality ?
Thanks Again
Tom

Old 01-17-2007, 08:37 AM

Default RE: scope question for 30-06

I prefer Leupold bases and rings, they work very good for me.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:03 AM

I second Leupold.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another good choice is Warne (rings and bases). They are very stable and reasonably priced.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:32 AM

And the leupold base and rings will fit with out a problem ? even thou it's not a leupold scope?.. < i guess there all the same size wise>
Old 01-17-2007, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would go with steel bases and rings because of the strength.
That said,your gunsmith was actually right as long as you choose a top quality major brand such as,leupold,redfield,millet,burris,warne,and etc.
One important thing to remember is to mount the scope as low as possible without having contact between scope objective bell,and barrel.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:14 PM

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear
One important thing to remember is to mount the scope as low as possible without having contact between scope objective bell,and barrel.
I agree with Stalkingbear. I like my scopes mounted as low as possible.

On a recent spring bear hunt, I discovered that one of the windage screws came out on my rear base (traditional Leupold-style bases and rings). I found the screw in the gun case, put it back in, and resighted the rifle while I was on the hunt. It ticked me off something awful, so I decided to dump the mounts altogether. I don't want to worry about that kind of stuff while I'm in the field.

I have switched two of my rifles from traditional Leupold-style bases and rings to Talley Lightweight mounts. I like the one-piece design of the Talley's. They are a very strong, lightweight set-up. A friend has a set of Leupold Dual Dovetail mounts on his .338 Ultra Mag. I like them as well - strong and simple.

On my .375 H&H I have a set of Warne Quick-Release bases and rings. I can remove the scope for close iron sight shots (for bear defense when you're packing out meat, for example) and when I put the scope back on, it goes back to zero. This is a nice feature, and in my opinion a much better solution than cheaper over-under mounts.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:26 PM

ORIGINAL: NY ARCHER
And the leupold base and rings will fit with out a problem ? even thou it's not a leupold scope?.. < i guess there all the same size wise>
Yup! They'll fit. You need to buy bases specific to the model of your rifle. I prefer 2-piece bases over 1-piece bases, because you gain clearance under the scope for loading and unloading.

You need to buy rings that will fit your scope. Your Monarch has a 1" main tube, so you will need 1" rings. The low, medium and high designations tell you how high the scope will be raised from the receiver. I prefer low, since I don't have any scope with large objective lenses. Low rings should also fit your set up.

The only thing you might need to be mindful of is the length of that Savage action. I needed an extension base for my Savage long action because I put a rather compact Nikon 2-7x on it. I don't know if you will need an extention bases (sometimes dubbed "reversible front") to fit your 3-9x, which is a little longer.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:27 PM

Leupold makes bases and rings for many, many different makes and models, so it should not be a problem to ge them for your rig. Really the only thing related to mounting any scope in any rings is to ensure that you get 1" rings for a scope with a 1" tub and 30mm rings for a scope with a 30mm tube.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Other then the cheap Craspco and Redfield(redfielddoes make ok stuff also.)weaver style stuff, your gunsmith is correct. Goto Leupold.com and see their different styles of bases. Burris, Warner, Weaver will work fine it just depends on what look you like. I prefer the Leupold or Burris Dual dovetail or double dovetail bases and rings. The STD Leupold ringsand baseswith one turn in ring and one windage adjustable ring are prob the most popular.

Quick Reply: scope question for 30-06

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.