Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

scrubbing the bore of a rifle

Old 01-16-2007, 10:55 PM

Default scrubbing the bore of a rifle

how often do you guys use the wire brushes down your barrells after shooting?

I had done it for the first time last weekend, and it was crazy because its starting to take longer and longer every time to get all of the "black" out of the barrel. I don't shoot much at all, and have only had the rifle for a few years.

But i had used the foaming bore cleaner, then put patches of rem oil through, and just kept rotating between wet and dry patches and it finally was a very light light grey, then i scrubbed it, and it was black again!.

But im worried about ruining the barrel by scrubbing too much.

After leaving it for about 3 years without a good scrubbing, could this have caused any damage to my rifle? It seems to be shooting fine.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:56 PM

Default RE: scrubbing the bore of a rifle

also, is this foaming bore cleaner /rem oil combo the best possible? or should I switch to something a little better. because it really has started taking a good 30 patches to come out perfect.

BTW, it is a tikka t3 lite stainless in 7mm
Old 01-16-2007, 11:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a phosphorus bronze, and nylonbrushes all the time, but I will not use a stainless steel brush. Good luck.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:58 PM

ORIGINAL: pdoughertyMU

also, is this foaming bore cleaner /rem oil combo the best possible? or should I switch to something a little better. because it really has started taking a good 30 patches to come out perfect.

BTW, it is a tikka t3 lite stainless in 7mm
I use the foaming bore cleaner, and have found it to be a very effective copper remover, but, I use Hoppe's No. 9 to get out the really heavy powder fouling deposits. Also, you will always get black patches, because, there are microscopic scratches in the bore, that get fouling in them, and you never get the fouling out of there. You need a bore light to check down the barrel, to make sure all of the fouling is out.I also do not like to use ss brushes, I use phosphour of nylon. Hope this helps.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:00 AM

I almost forgot, you need to let the foam sit in the bore for at least 1 hour, 1 hour and a half is better. The longer you let it sit, the more the magic gets to working.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:07 AM
Typical Buck

just get you a can of JB'S bore cleaner and some 0000steelwool ,rap the steelwool around a old brush and scrub . the fine steelwool will not scratch the bore when used with any cleaner, its fine enough to clean glass ,try it on your windshield with windex, its the best bug remover in the world.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:46 AM
bigcountry

Here is what I do. I use a bronze brush to go the the barrel 3 or 4 times to loosen with shooters choice. I then use shooters choice with patches to get out powder fouling. At this point, I take one of two routes. If I have time, I put wipeout foam cleaner in and let it sit at least2 hours. I clean it out and do it again but overnight. Usually at that point, all copper is out.

If I don't go route one, and if I have multple guns, I will probably use CR10, or Sweets or butchs. to clean out copper. I uses to scrub with brass jags, but now use the old plastic patch holders. Brass jags give false indicators that copper is still in there.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:32 AM

Rifle cleaning, is pretty much a personal thing, what I like to do, you may not, just go with what you feel is right.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: pdoughertyMU

how often do you guys use the wire brushes down your barrells after shooting?

I had done it for the first time last weekend, and it was crazy because its starting to take longer and longer every time to get all of the "black" out of the barrel. I don't shoot much at all, and have only had the rifle for a few years.

But i had used the foaming bore cleaner, then put patches of rem oil through, and just kept rotating between wet and dry patches and it finally was a very light light grey, then i scrubbed it, and it was black again!.

But im worried about ruining the barrel by scrubbing too much.

After leaving it for about 3 years without a good scrubbing, could this have caused any damage to my rifle? It seems to be shooting fine.
I use Shooter's Choice solvent on phosphor-bronze brushes, (NEVER use a steel brush in a bore!!) two strokes per shot fired. After cleaning/drying the bore, I swab it with a patch soaked In Birchwood-Casey SHEATH.

Haven't used oil as a preservative on a gunnow for over 20 years. Break-Free or dry MOS2 (if preparing for arctic conditions) on moving parts for friction only.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use a bronze or nylon for caliber bore brush with Shooters choice and scrub the bore 3-5 times. After I wash the bore brush in warm water and wipe clean, then let it dry.Now I run patches with shooters choice to remove the powder and carbon fouling (black residue). NowI remove the copper fouling with patches of either Sweets &.62 or Barnes Cr10, then use a different for caliber bore brush and scrub it 3-5 times and follow up with patches of the CR until I stop pulling blue. Wash the bore brush in warm water, wipe and let air dry. Finally I finish with a lightly soaked patch of BC Sheath followed by adry patch to remove any excess solvent and a finish withsaturated patch of BC Sheath. I then place the rifle in my gun cabinet on a rag or some patches muzzle down to eliminate oil running back into the action. Prior to usage I run a patch through the bore to remove excess oil.

Quick Reply: scrubbing the bore of a rifle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.