Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

cheapest ar15

Old 01-19-2007, 02:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: cheapest ar15

gettting an upper and lower and putting them together is easier then building a Lego set. You just put them together and push in 2 pins.
Unless things are different for civilian models, that's how M16's and M4's work.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:22 PM

thats the impression i was under, pahunter.. anyone know where to get good deals on uppers and lowers.. i hear you can get a stag upper/lower a couple days apart and get really good prices.. a nyone else know of this?
Old 01-20-2007, 07:55 AM
Fork Horn

Nevermind.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: cataway

neither do B B guns but put on a scope not made for one and it wont last long. you really need a scope thats made for an AR,that will stand up to the kind of recoil it produces.
TC offers one ,true its far from being a top of the line scope but it will stay put.
Springfield Armory 4-14 X 40 tactical, holds up really well , but then its made for that kind of gun .
i tried Leupold's & Nikon's and it wasn't long and it hitting any were but were i wanted it to.
Please explain in detail the "kind of recoil" an AR-15 produces. I'm really curious about this. Leupold and Nikon scopes stand up quite well to recoil from things like .338 Win Mags. These certainly produce close to 10 times the recoil of a .223. How is it that these scopes will stand up fine to Magnum cartridges, but are humbled by a puny .223. What is different about the "kind of recoil" produceed by an AR such that it will damage scopes that hold up well to vastly more powerful calibers. Doesn't make one iota of sense.

And, what the he!! kind of scope "wouldn't last long" on a BB gun? Forgive me, but these seem like some of the dumbest statements I've read on here, and I'll need some plausible explanation for how you've come to your conclusions.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:44 AM

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

ORIGINAL: cataway

neither do B B guns but put on a scope not made for one and it wont last long. you really need a scope thats made for an AR,that will stand up to the kind of recoil it produces.
TC offers one ,true its far from being a top of the line scope but it will stay put.
Springfield Armory 4-14 X 40 tactical, holds up really well , but then its made for that kind of gun .
i tried Leupold's & Nikon's and it wasn't long and it hitting any were but were i wanted it to.
Please explain in detail the "kind of recoil" an AR-15 produces. I'm really curious about this. Leupold and Nikon scopes stand up quite well to recoil from things like .338 Win Mags. These certainly produce close to 10 times the recoil of a .223. How is it that these scopes will stand up fine to Magnum cartridges, but are humbled by a puny .223. What is different about the "kind of recoil" produceed by an AR such that it will damage scopes that hold up well to vastly more powerful calibers. Doesn't make one iota of sense.

And, what the he!! kind of scope "wouldn't last long" on a BB gun? Forgive me, but these seem like some of the dumbest statements I've read on here, and I'll need some plausible explanation for how you've come to your conclusions.
Ipscs, I gotta ask the same thing, how can these scopes not withstand the recoil of an AR? the .223 has no recoil at all, heck, I have a Simmons Eight Point, that has lasted 5 years on a .300 Win Mag, without any problems, certainly a leupold or Nikon will be able to stand the recoil of a .223!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-22-2007, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think he meant that air rifles needed a special scope......

And, no an AR15 does not need a special scope. I have put thousands of rounds thru 2 different ARs with the same Nikon 4.5-14x40 on it, and it doesn't lose its zero.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Rammer

I think he meant that air rifles needed a special scope......

And, no an AR15 does not need a special scope. I have put thousands of rounds thru 2 different ARs with the same Nikon 4.5-14x40 on it, and it doesn't lose its zero.
I think you must have missed his prior post. Here's what it said:

Original: cataway

i own a DPMS , i have one heavy barrel upper in .223
and one in 7.62X39 . both very accurate the 223 shoots 1/2 inch groups and will do that all day long. the 7.62X39 is a 1moa gun with most holes touching . the only trouble i have had was with the scopes, seams most scopes cant hold up to the kind of recoil an AR produces . but other than that ,not a lick of problems .
I'm trying to figure out what it is about an AR's recoil that apparently makes scopes not hold zero, when they do it fine under the recoil of much more powerful rifles. I still think that his problem is with his mounts, not with the scope.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pighunter56said
"certainly a Leupold or Nikon will be able to stand the recoil of a .223!!!!!!!!!! "
yes you would like to think so. the AR has a bolt that slams forward,its much like the action of a BB gun, it may be even a little harder .this slamming forward affects a scope differently than what it would on a bolt action gun, if a scope is not made for this secondary recoil in time it will effect the constance zero, we call them flyer's.
i started out using a Leupold 4-14x40 a great scope ,but after a number of shots a pattern developed . using a five shot clip i found that i could call were the first and second shot were going to go. #1 would be high and a little to the right #2 would be a little low and to the left #3,4,5would be touching right were the scope was zeroed. the same was true of the Nikon 4-14.
after going through two Leupold's and one Nikon i switched to a scope that is made for an AR. now if i get a flier i know its me.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

So, why don't we see this effect on other semi-auto rifles like the BAR and the Remington 740/742/7400/750?
Old 01-22-2007, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I must be lucky then.

Nikon 4.5-14x40 in A.R.M.S. #22 Rings. No matter how many times I take that scope off my AR and attach my EoTech, it still holds its zero......And it bounces around on the seat of my pickup everyday......

Quick Reply: cheapest ar15

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.