Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.22 or .25

Old 01-14-2007, 01:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default .22 or .25

i know i say im gonna buy alot of things but i will buy them all eventually.
but i want a small handgun. i like the phoenix arems. should i look into .25 or .22. the only thing i would use it for is plinking and maybe maybe squirrel hunting.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: .22 or .25

The .22LR is aproven cartridge and ammo is cheap and plentiful. You won't get much more out of the .25 in terms of ballistics, and makes/models and accesories are fewer than with .22 pistols.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:34 PM
Typical Buck

A ruger single six that comes with a .22 LR and a .22 mag. cylinder is a fun and handy handgun.

There was an outfit making a semi-auto .22 mag. at one time but I don't know if these are still made??? anyone know (AMT auto mag. or something like that??)

Robin in Rocky
Old 01-14-2007, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Brod Man, my recommendation is to surf Phoenix Arms and see if you really want to do business with them. Only you can make that choice. As far as squirrels and plinkin' go, 22's are just so much cheaper. Where I will tip my hat to the .25 auto is that, for one looking for a really small piece, sometimes that stubby will feed better than a 22. Old, good used 25's come up for sale quite a bit, and some with longer barrels. Good hunting.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:06 PM
Fork Horn

I don't recommend any pocket pistol for any reason, especially not hunting.
Pocket .22's and .25's for the most partare junk. If you get one that will function, the accuracy will still be abissmal. You could never get close enough to a squirrel or rabbit to make a decent shot.

Spend a little more money, even if you have towait for a while and buy a decent .22 revolver like a Ruger or Taurus, or a used Smith if you can find one. There are H&R's and other less expensive ones out there too if you can go to gun shows.

There is nothing worse than buying a gun only to find out it won't shoot no matter what you do to it. Save yourself the grief and buy a better gun.

Also, .22's are far more available with a HUGE variety of ammo to choose from. All of which will shoot in 99% of .22 revolvers.

Good Hunting,
Bowflex