Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rifled Barrels

Old 11-30-2002, 08:38 AM

Default Rifled Barrels

i just bought a rifled barrel for my 870, and people where telling me that u only can shoot the smooth slugs through them, is that true, if so i bought a barrel that is going to be expensive to shoot. thanks. NYH.
Old 11-30-2002, 10:19 AM

Default RE: Rifled Barrels

A rifled barrel is meant to shoot the sabot slugs. A sabot is a plastic or polymer holder that hold the bullet and engages the rifling as it travels down the barrel. A box of 5 will run you between $10-$15.00. What kind of sights are you using? If you mount a scope you can have it boresighted and you won't have to shoot that much to be ready for the field. I'm not sure what you meant by "smooth slugs". I've never heard them called that. A rifled barrel with sabot slugs are deadly on deer and hogs and a lot more accurate than rifled slugs through a smootbore barrel. Definately worth the investment.
Old 11-30-2002, 11:27 AM

yeah that is what i meant by saying "smooth" slugs, but u cant use a rifled slugs? the ones that cost like $3 a box? thanks. im using rifle sights. NYH.
Old 11-30-2002, 11:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

You MOST CERTAINLY CAN shoot Foster-type or Brenneke slugs in your rifled bore, BUT when you do so, you can get lead buildup in the bore which could (may not happen) adversely affect your accuracy. Rifled bores are best suited to some kind of sabot-type load, like the Winchester Partition Gold slugs, WHICH FAR OUTPERFORM THE FOSTER TYPE BOTH AS TO KILLING POWER AND ACCURACY!! Since you went to the expense of getting a rifled bore, why handicap yourself by using el-cheapo, obsolete ammo in it??

Keep yore powder dry!!
Old 11-30-2002, 03:29 PM

so i can shoot any type of slug out of my rifled barrel? just making sure. thanks guys. i reason i asked questions on the cheap ammo is that i have 3 boxes of it for my birthday before i got the barrel. thanks. NYH
Old 11-30-2002, 05:11 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]