Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

hmr /vs/ mach2

Old 01-13-2007, 07:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default hmr /vs/ mach2

I have a 17hmr. I know a nice older lady that bought a 22 semi off of some kid for 50 bucks. I looked at the gun and determined that it was the most neglected gun I had ever seen. I offered to clean it for her and check it out. I brought her my savage .17hmr with a simmons eight point scope. I gave her a quick lesson or two. She was pegging a pop bottle at 40 yds. in no time. Her gun is now clean and in reasonable condition{ firing condition anyway, it still looks like crap] . Now she wants a gun like mine. The price on that gun has gone up a ton since I bought mine.I don't think she needs that much gun anyway but she wants a .17 . What do you folks think of the Mach 2?I think it might be the answer. She wants the heavy barrel. She also likes the low noise and recoil of my rifle.I don't think she will shoot past 100yds though. I would like some input. thanks

[/align]
Old 01-14-2007, 08:37 AM

Default RE: hmr /vs/ mach2

The HM2 is a great little gun. It can be a bit expensive for plinking, but the ammo is not much more than .22 match ammo to be honest.

Much better range than .22 and probably better accuracy. You also have the advantage of reduced ricochet with the V-max ammo.

They make EXCELLENT squirrel guns from what I understand.

I don't believe the prices are any different from a standard .22 either in the same model. I would look at getting her a Savage heavy barrel with the accu trigger if she is looking for an affordable accurate gun. And a mid priced scope, don't get a cheap POS scope for one these guns, they deserve better optics ( you don't need to spend 3 or 4 hunred dollars though).

That being said it's hard to beat the value and fun of a nice Marlin 60 in .22 long rifle. Or a simular .22 rifle.

I feel the 17 HMR is here to stay, I think the jury is till out on how long the HM2 will be around. Looks like a keeper right now though.

Paul
Old 01-14-2007, 11:50 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: hmr /vs/ mach2

thanks for the input Paul. I think I saw a gun scope combo at Gander Mountain for a good price. It was a Marlin though. It did have the heavy barrel with it. I agree with you about the HMR. It was 185.00 when I bought mine. Now, it costs around 250.00 for the same gun and scope. That is a large increase for only two years. I am going to try to sell her on the Mach2 . The HMR is more than she needs anyway. I don't see her shooting more than 60 yds. You are right, you can't beat the safety provided by the V-Max bullet. If it hits somthing hard enough to ricochet , it just shatters. I think you are right about the the ammo cost as well. Thanks again. Chip

[/align]