Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Muzzle Breaks

Old 01-13-2007, 06:22 AM

Default Muzzle Breaks

Anyone out there use one? Or have anything to say about them? Just curious.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Muzzle Breaks

They tame recoil some, but add to the report alot. The sound is now jetted up and back toward your ears. Always wear your earplugs.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a break on a 308 handgun. I doubt I could use full power loads in it without the break.
I see no reason to put a break on most rifles

Old 01-13-2007, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

On light rifles say in the 375, 458, 378wby range they can reduce recoil by quite a bit. I have a friend who has one on a 338-378 wby and it's tamed that bad boy down.. BUT, you can feel the shock from it now standing ten feet away and you better wear some hearing protection. Your guide on a big game hunt will not like you either.. lol
some can be put on for practicing and taken off while hunting...
Old 01-13-2007, 08:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: thegamehunter

Anyone out there use one? Or have anything to say about them? Just curious.
I have one on a .416 Rigby. It is ugly, cumbersome, etc. etc. However, it does a good job of reducing recoil, and this particular make (Vais) does not raise the sound or muzzleblast level to any noticeable degree.

The rifle had it on when I bought it. I would NOT buy one for any of my other rifles, but I will continue to use the rifle with the thing in place..

(BTW, these things are BRAKES, as they apply a braking effect to the rearward movement of the gun. To me, the term "break" implies that something is broken, or hinged in the middle, like a "break-open shotgun", etc.)
Old 01-13-2007, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

They work well. They cut felt recoil enormously and destroy your hearing at the same time. If the recoil is uncomfortable move down to a different round.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:58 PM

I use mine on my Browning A-Bolt Boss. I think its great at reducing the recoil. My buddies make fun that you can hear me shooting in the next city but they are believers of it now too. I would never shoot it without hearing protection, but my hearing is bad enough so I always use plugs.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:13 PM

Had one on a Browning A-bolt .338 Win Mag that came with a Boss sytem on it. Hated that break. Gun was nice, but the brake was only a headache to me. Would never have one again.
Too loud( sets off car alarms at the range!) Blows dust in your face when you shoot prone with a bipod and just looks ugly!!!
If I wanted a recoil reduction, I'd choose a top of the line recoil pad and also a mercury or spring reducer installed in the stock.
Just for FYI purposes. I asked Santa for a Caldwell Lead Sled for Xmas. He got me one. I added two 25lbs bags of shot to it and shot my 12 ga with slugs and my .338 Win Mag with 225grain pills off of the bench. Never even noticed the recoil!!!! Reduced by a significant margin! Makes all day sessions at the range with bigger guns a breeze. Now, you can sight in at 100 yds with any gun or load and play until your guns' doing exactly what you want it to. Then, when you hunt, one or two shots at an animal will
nevereven phaseyou.
Good luck!
Old 01-13-2007, 09:35 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

I had a BRAKE on my 300 WinMag, but got rid of it because I didn't want to damage my ears while hunting. (Even a few shots w/o ear muffs can permanently damage your hearing.)

I just put a BRAKE on my 22-250 varmit rifle (so I can see the hits), but I always wear my muffs when doing that.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:38 PM

BTM- Do you feel any recoil at all with a break on that small cartridge??
Must be like a .22LR.

Quick Reply: Muzzle Breaks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.