Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

shotgun patterning

Old 01-12-2007, 01:02 AM

Default shotgun patterning

If you are patterning abnormally high or low, how do you fix this?

what about left to right?
Old 01-12-2007, 02:28 AM

Default RE: shotgun patterning

You didn't mention what kind of gun, or if you are useing choke tubes and do they all shoot to the same POI.

Some guns have shimms in the stock which help a little, maybe. A shotgun bbl can be bent, so can the stock, sometimes the choke threads are not installed squarely with the bore and quite often, the gun simply does not fit you. If you are shooting it off the bench, try just standing and shouldering the gun, shotguns are not aimed, they should shoot where you are looking. Sitting and shooting off a bench often produces different results then when you are shooting off-handed. Sorry, I can't begin to describe what goes into fitting a scattergun to a shooter, go to a skeet/trap range and ask around for a good shotgun smith.

Doug
Old 01-12-2007, 03:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

My buddy had a gun like that. The barrel wasn't bent, the magazine tube was. Since the barrel was attached to the magazine tube, it was off. He had a gunsmith straighten the tube. Gun shoots great now.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:13 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: pdoughertyMU

If you are patterning abnormally high or low, how do you fix this?

what about left to right?
The Drop at Comb could be off for you and the Cast On and Cast Off could also be off for you.

Have you ever been fitted for a Shotgun?
Old 01-12-2007, 08:13 AM

I don't necessarily think i have this problem, it just seemed as though i was hitting a little bit low last time i went shooting, as it seemed as though i had to put the actual barrel over the clay so it would shoot it. But being only my second time in 2 years at the trap range, i was definately aiming and not pointing, which might be why i am having this problem.

I was thinking first off that it is shooting very straight, since aiming with the bead would usually cause a lower pattern i would think, because the bead is a good 1/2 inch or more above the barrel. So i may just be a little paranoid. I'm sure it shoots straight and perfect, I was just curious if it would be fixable depending on what happen. The gun is very comfortable on me and am almost positive it fits well.

It is a franchi I-12- and it is working wonderfully and seems to have less recoil than my 20 ga. So i love the gun. But haven't actually patterned it yet.

I will pattern it on saturday.