Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

caliber choice

Old 01-28-2007, 08:28 AM

Default RE: caliber choice

ORIGINAL: M77man

ORIGINAL: wronkatonk

hi im a new shooter/hunter and looking for a caliber to choose. i have my heart set on a tikka t3 stainless. i was thinking of .243 .270 .308 or 7mm mag.

where i live now there is alot of deer and coyotes. i might go moose or elk hunting if i get the draw. so i dont know if i need high end power. but would it hurt to get one just in case. on the other hand thats quite a bit for deer and coyotes. i was thinking .308 but i hear the bullets tend to drop fast. can anyone help a rookie out???

thanks
I would go with the 7mm Rem Mag and not even worry about too much power. Over power is way over rated on these forums, trust me. My cousin has shot a four point buck at about 30 yards with his .300 Win Mag and didn't waste any meat. The exit wound was no bigger then the entrance wound but it stopped right in it's tracks. You can down load with the 7 Mag for the yotes and smaller game as well. It's a fantastic caliber. Get it.
I tend to agree with that, however, since he claims to be a new shooter, wouldn't it be better to usher him to get something with a little less recoil?
Old 01-28-2007, 09:00 AM

ORIGINAL: Pighunter56

hi im a new shooter/hunter and looking for a caliber to choose. i have my heart set on a tikka t3 stainless. i was thinking of .243 .270 .308 or 7mm mag.

where i live now there is alot of deer and coyotes. i might go moose or elk hunting if i get the draw. so i dont know if i need high end power. but would it hurt to get one just in case. on the other hand thats quite a bit for deer and coyotes. i was thinking .308 but i hear the bullets tend to drop fast. can anyone help a rookie out???

thanks
I would go with the 7mm Rem Mag and not even worry about too much power. Over power is way over rated on these forums, trust me. My cousin has shot a four point buck at about 30 yards with his .300 Win Mag and didn't waste any meat. The exit wound was no bigger then the entrance wound but it stopped right in it's tracks. You can down load with the 7 Mag for the yotes and smaller game as well. It's a fantastic caliber. Get it.
I tend to agree with that, however, since he claims to be a new shooter, wouldn't it be better to usher him to get something with a little less recoil?
Yep, I agree with that also. I didn't read the reply to his post until now. He has his mind set on the 30-06 which is comparable to the 7 Mag anyway. Either way, a wise choice.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:03 AM

ORIGINAL: Pighunter56

thanks
Yep, I agree with that also. I didn't read the reply to his post until now. He has his mind set on the 30-06 which is comparable to the 7 Mag anyway. Either way, a wise choice.
Oh yeah, both cartridges will get the job done, and have readily availible ammo.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:28 PM

ok dont get me wrong the 30-06 and the 7mm are pretty close but not as accurate the 7mm wins on the 30-06 the bullistics are pretty close out to say 400 yards where the 06 starts to slow down where the 7mm is still trucking pretty good the 7mm mag is alot flatter shooting than the 30-06 thats because a longer bullet. i like the 30-06 but if i had to choose between the 2 id go 7mm i have a 30-06 and i shoot my 7mm alot more
Old 01-28-2007, 06:07 PM

ORIGINAL: 7MM.REMINGTON.MAGNUM

ok dont get me wrong the 30-06 and the 7mm are pretty close but not as accurate the 7mm wins on the 30-06 the bullistics are pretty close out to say 400 yards where the 06 starts to slow down where the 7mm is still trucking pretty good the 7mm mag is alot flatter shooting than the 30-06 thats because a longer bullet. i like the 30-06 but if i had to choose between the 2 id go 7mm i have a 30-06 and i shoot my 7mm alot more
You mean, the 7mm bullet has a higher BC?
Old 01-28-2007, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

He should get a 30-06, because there's more ammo availability , and in different grains, plus,the 30-06Accelerators are back, and those are awesome varmit rounds!