" />

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

DIY...camo painting your own rifle?

Old 01-10-2007, 09:37 PM

Default DIY...camo painting your own rifle?

Anyone got some good pics of homemade paint jobs on rifles?

Also any good info on how to put a nice camo job on my rifle?
Old 01-10-2007, 11:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: DIY...camo painting your own rifle?

I used a Krylon spraypaint on one of my rifles, it's a Remington 710...perfect rifle to use as a guinea pig. I used a black color, came out VERY nice, smooth finish and matte. Looks a lot better then that ugly gray. I think I'm going to use the same brand and get some tan and green to camo it now. I'll try to get some pics up.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:37 AM

Make sure you use the kind of spray paint they make specially for wood/metal or outdoor furniture . Also clean the surface w/ alchohol 1st..Last, dont touch the dried paint if you have gun oil or solvent on your hands ,makes the paint tacky & leaves dirty prints that cant be cleaned.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:36 PM

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=52383957&an=0&am p;page=1#52383957

Look around this site and you will find more.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:56 PM
Typical Buck

Here's a $10 Krylon paint job on a $2K gun. It's a working rifle and when I get tired of the way it looks it'sonly about 10 minutes from a new look.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's an awesome job AA. How'd you do it exactly? Did you give it the tan base layer, then make a stencil and put on the green??
Old 01-12-2007, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

those are sweet camo jobs,
Old 01-12-2007, 02:15 PM
Typical Buck

great work AA....run us through how u did it. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:14 PM
Typical Buck

I have a savage 110 in 308,as well as 2 blackpowders,that looks similar to DoubleA's. I also used the Krylon camo spray paint from wallyworld.Make sure you plug the barrel (an earplug works well) and cover the scope lenses. I used cardboard and masking tape. I also removed the bolt, taped off the action, safety, and trigger. I started by the hanging the gun by the sling studs in a well ventilated area. I then painted the entire thing with the lightest color (tan or sand). While this as drying, I begin to cut 4-6" wide strips of burlap (potato or feed sack)as long as possible. Then I pulled out about 1/3 to 1/2 of the strands in the weave. This takes some time. Then wrap the entire gun with these pieces of burlap. You can use the strands to secure them. Then use your next lightest color, probably brown and spray through the burlap. Let it dry for a while-20-30 min. Then take the burlap off and reapply it (the same burlap), but wrap it in a different direction. Now apply your green paint, and your done. You may want to touch up spots with all the colors after this depending on how light or dark you want it.

Good Luck,these were fun and inexpensive projects.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

How did you get the detail in your paint job? That looks good.

Quick Reply: DIY...camo painting your own rifle?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.