Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New/used gun

Old 01-09-2007, 11:37 AM

Default New/used gun

I just bought a gun (Ruger No.1) that is new to me but has less than 50 rounds thru it.

The guy said he broke the barrel in. My question should I maybe give it a run of Tubb's Final Finish for good measure?
Old 01-09-2007, 11:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: New/used gun

If it ain't broke.......don't fix!If the barrel is clean and shiny, it's good ro go!
Old 01-09-2007, 12:32 PM

I tend to agree with the hog. You really should take her out and shoot her if things currently look good, and go from there.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess that I have never really understood why some people stress over "breaking in" a barrel. As long as you arent putting round after round through it without letting the barrel cool sufficiently, it was probably broken in ok. Now some of the guys that spend big bucks on thier cusom made barrels/guns might have a point in their methods of breaking in their custom barrels, but the run of mill name brand guns are probably fine with just firing it enough to let the barrel heat up and then clean it thouroghly with some good bore solvent and then oiling it up for next time. I like to recheck all of the nuts and bolts for snugness too after the first couple of times of firing a new gun since they have been known to come loose.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:56 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Elkhntr04

I just bought a gun (Ruger No.1) that is new to me but has less than 50 rounds thru it.

The guy said he broke the barrel in. My question should I maybe give it a run of Tubb's Final Finish for good measure?
I ruined a factory remington barrel with tubbs final Finish bullets. Maybe I ran them too hard but thru a bore scope the lands were rounded over.

I would never put them thru my barrel again.