Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger 10/22 & butler creek barrel??

Old 01-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default Ruger 10/22 & butler creek barrel??

i have a ruger 10/22.i was wondering if those butler creek barrelsfit right on the gun with out changing the stock.there web site says that all you need is a allen wrench and screw driver to put it on.also I would like the 17HMR barrel.do i have to get a different kind of clip?thanks brad
Old 01-06-2007, 09:23 PM

Default RE: Ruger 10/22 & butler creek barrel??

if you check bass pro shops or cabellas, you can get the combo barrel and stock with a 25 round mag for about 110$. if not you will have to modify the stock.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ruger 10/22 & butler creek barrel??

First...avoid Butler Creek. They're not exactly known for their accuarcy, especially thei ploymer and "carbon fiber" ones,hence the cheap prices. Ok, that said...
10/22's are either the standard sporter profile like the factory (non "T") bbls or the .920 bull bbls. The stock needs have the correct bbl channel for the profile. If your stock doesn't have the wider bbl channel the bull blls won't fit.
Now as for the caliber conversion...if you have a standard 10/22 which is chambered in .22lr you cannot convert it to .17 HMR. For that you would need the 10/22M (magnum) which is chambered for the .22 magnum cartridge. These were made for a while but performance issues halted poduction. They're supposedly reworking that problem and re-releasing it again and having a .17 HMR model also. You can convert the .2lr model to .17 Mach 2. This requires a bbl change and a change of the bolt handle to give the mass required for the different pressure curve of the .17M2 cartridge. I've done this conversion.
It's an easy conversion. Both are drop in parts. The bbls can be changed buy simply removing the stock and loosening the wedge block under the bbl. The bbl then pulls out and a new one is put in. The better ones will have a very tight fit as the shanks are slightly oversied compared to the looser factory bbls. The bolt handle is also an easy swap.
I've built up 4 10/22's with at least another 4 planned. It can become very addicting.