This rifle was bought for big..." />

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help me scope my new rifle!

Old 01-06-2007, 06:21 PM

Default Help me scope my new rifle!

Ok so I finally got my new rifle in, the way it feels in my hands after craving it for so long is undescribable. It's a 338-378 weatherby, no other words besides plain and simple perfection can describe it.
-now that i am done drooling

This rifle was bought for big game, big elk, big bears, you name it. With the potential for long range killing. It drops 8-9 inches at 400 yards based on bullet weight. That is definitly something I want to be able to take advantage of if given the opportunity.

If you had roughly a 1000 dollars to spend on a scope and rings what would you get? They have to be sturdy enough to handle the recoil abuse, and they have to be able to give the clearness and magnification to shoot long range.

Thanks for helping me decide what to top my new baby with!
Old 01-06-2007, 06:29 PM

Default RE: Help me scope my new rifle!

Congrats IH 58. First and foremost, I would get a set of Burris Signature rings and the teflon inserts grip like crazy and won't damage you expensive scope. I would opt for the Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40. There are plenty of quality bases. Good luck with your selection and regards, Rick.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Either a Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40 or A Leupold VXIII 2.5x8x36. Whichever has the best eye relief [:@]
Old 01-06-2007, 06:47 PM

I have been looking at the zeiss conquest 6.5x20x50 scope online, it looks pretty amazing. I will def have to check it out in person.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:48 PM

A Zeiss Diavari 1.5-6x 42
I am a fan of the Leupold 1pc Base.
A little more than your $1000 but I think you would be satisfied.

Old 01-06-2007, 06:54 PM

Would that be enough magnification though?

And what are you opinions about the multiple recticle scopes, like leupold and zeiss that have the notches to signify different distances?
Old 01-06-2007, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

For long range I would definately get at least 4-12 magnification. I would lean more toward the 4.5-14. The 6.5-20 can be a little touchy on the eye reliefat 20 power. Just my experience. I would also consider getting a Bullet Drop Compensation Dial installed. Hope this helps!

http://www.leupold.com/resources/custom_shop/custom_shop.htm

Old 01-06-2007, 07:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Idaho hunter 58

Would that be enough magnification though?

And what are you opinions about the multiple recticle scopes, like leupold and zeiss that have the notches to signify different distances?
Reticle Styleis a matter of preference. And should be chosen by shooter. Hard to beat a Mil.Dot. But for Big Game I prefer a Heavier Plex.

I learned to shoot with open sights and a 4x Weaver.A 6x is all you need to but your bullet throgh the Vitals of a game animal @ 400yards.
Clear optics is more important than mag. level. MO
@ 1.5x a 42mm has an exit pupil of 28mm. Makes you a lot more comfortable if you come face to face with a Dangerous animal at night.
Way more important to me than high zoom.

Iwitnessed my Grandad shoot Groundhog nearly 3/4mile down railroad tracks with a 6x.
I had to pack Binos with me to see his hand signals whenI went to fetch his prefered stew meat and catfish bait.

Old 01-06-2007, 07:18 PM

hey thats was extremely helpful. I am looking at the web site right now. thanks!
Old 01-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: White-tail-deer

For long range I would definately get at least 4-12 magnification. I would lean more toward the 4.5-14. The 6.5-20 can be a little touchy on the eye reliefat 20 power. Just my experience. I would also consider getting a Bullet Drop Compensation Dial installed. Hope this helps!

http://www.leupold.com/resources/custom_shop/custom_shop.htm

Yep, I second that. I would get a 4.5-14 VX-L with some Leupold rings and mounts.

Quick Reply: Help me scope my new rifle!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.