Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

91 Mauser questions

Old 01-06-2007, 04:00 PM

Default 91 Mauser questions

Hey everybody, I was given a 91 Argentine a while back and havent really had time to do much with it. I am wanting to know where I may be able to find parts for it. Its already been made into a sporter which dissapointed me a little once I got the gun, but oh well, I figure since its already sporterized I should go ahead and trick it out to my liking. I am currently looking for a new stock, the current one is pretty trashed. A monte carlo or thumbhole would be sweet but I would settle any new stock. If you can point me to any online sites or businesses in the Racine/Kenosha WI area that would be great. Thanks for any help you can give.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:52 PM

Default RE: 91 Mauser questions

Hello B99. There is no such thing as a Model 91 Argentine Mauser. There is a Model 95 and a Model 98. What caliber is it...why do you say the stock is trashed? Is it a small or large ring Mauser? Is it drilled and tapped for scope mounts? Has the bolt handle been forged to clear a scope. Does it have the original safety or has it been modified? Would like to help you...pictures would be very helpful. Regards, Rick. OBTW, some of these old Mod95 Chileno and Argentine Mausers were made by Loewe and Orbendorf and are very very nice. Please post all the markings on the rifle and receiver. Regards, Rick.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

No such thing as a 1891 Mauser..??.. Hmmmm...Your rifle must be a figment of your imagination... Along with all of those poor folks who have imaginary 1888, 1889, 1893, 1894 and 1896 Mausers.......

As far as getting a stock, I'm sure there are models available for the 91...A google search for aftermarket gunstocks would no doubt turn up something.. Do Bishop and Fajen still makes aftermarket stocks..?..
Old 01-06-2007, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are a couple to look at here

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/savinggrace/index.asp

http://leadingthenextinquisition.wordpress.com/2006/08/05/1891-argentinian-mauser/
Old 01-06-2007, 08:56 PM

Think a little harder before insulting me next time.
http://www.surplusrifle.com/argentine1891/rifledisassembly/index.asp
I would love to put up a few pictures-but the gun is being fitted with new scope mounts and I wont have it for another week or two. As far as the rest of the gun goes, the reciever and barrel are stock as well as the whole trigger and guard assembly. Like I said, I haven't had a ton of time to play around with it and I haven't modified it at all since it was given to me.

To answer your question pygmy - I have no idea who makes anything for the gun anymore. I have tried a few searches that haven't revealed much. I have found ammo and thats about it, occasionally I will find a bayonet or something like that, which I don't need.

ORIGINAL: 48thguns

Hello B99. There is no such thing as a Model 91 Argentine Mauser. There is a Model 95 and a Model 98. What caliber is it...why do you say the stock is trashed? Is it a small or large ring Mauser? Is it drilled and tapped for scope mounts? Has the bolt handle been forged to clear a scope. Does it have the original safety or has it been modified? Would like to help you...pictures would be very helpful. Regards, Rick. OBTW, some of these old Mod95 Chileno and Argentine Mausers were made by Loewe and Orbendorf and are very very nice. Please post all the markings on the rifle and receiver. Regards, Rick.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:25 PM

Well, You got me[&:]. I have been working with 98 and 95 actions for so long that I forgot about the earlier models the Mauser Brothers built....my bad and I certainly did not mean to insult you in any way. I have not worked with the earlier versions as I have been told the actionsneed to be heat treated and pressure tested.....I'm sure this is up for discussion. At any rate, please accept my apology.

I assume the Model 91 is a small ring 7mm Action? If you are going to trick it out, I may have some ideas. Regards, Rick.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:41 PM

Ok, I understand. Sorry I got defensive there on ya (bad tendency of mine ) I do believe its a small ring - I never completly understood that termanology. All I really know is that its chambered in 7.65mm. What kind of ideas do you have? And as a follow up to another question posted by pygmy- I did some searching on who makes what for this gun, and I didnt find anything fromeither of the two companies you posted up. Thanks though - I know that there are those parts out there, but I'mhaving ahelluva time finding them.

ORIGINAL: 48thguns

Well, You got me[&:]. I have been working with 98 and 95 actions for so long that I forgot about the earlier models the Mauser Brothers built....my bad and I certainly did not mean to insult you in any way. I have not worked with the earlier versions as I have been told the actionsneed to be heat treated and pressure tested.....I'm sure this is up for discussion. At any rate, please accept my apology.

I assume the Model 91 is a small ring 7mm Action? If you are going to trick it out, I may have some ideas. Regards, Rick.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:12 PM

The 1891 mauser is a small ring mauser.

If your looking for a sporterized stock for the 1891 Argentine. This looks like the place to get one.

I will be ordering one from them also. I was given a 1891 Argentine mauser that is missing the stock. And I have had no luck finding a military reproduction stock.

http://www.rifle-stocks.com/sporter_hunting_styles.htm

Old 09-11-2007, 04:21 PM

ORIGINAL: fatmank31

The 1891 mauser is a small ring mauser.

If your looking for a sporterized stock for the 1891 Argentine. This looks like the place to get one.

I will be ordering one from them also. I was given a 1891 Argentine mauser that is missing the stock. And I have had no luck finding a military reproduction stock.

http://www.rifle-stocks.com/sporter_hunting_styles.htm

Wow, I completely forgot about this thread. I too have found that website. It looks like they have some real nice products and I'll probably end up getting something from them eventually, right now my focus is shifted towards school, and Bowseason though, both of which are terriby expensive. But thanks for your thoughts and enjoy your rifle once you get it shooting!
Old 09-12-2007, 05:27 PM

Boyds make a laminate stock for the small ring Mauser.You can get them in traditional or thumbhole versions. www.boydsgunstocks.com. I am currently working on a stock for my son's '06AI.....the small ring looks identical. I would think they will fit youraction but double check with Boyds. Regards, Rick.

Quick Reply: 91 Mauser questions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.