Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Benelli or Browning ??

Old 01-04-2007, 09:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Benelli or Browning ??

Guys I was wondering your opinion on the better shotgun for Turkey hunting ...the Benelli II Super Black Eagle or the Browning Gold both in 3 1/2? I plan on buying one next week and was wanting some objective input ....I would also be using it to duck hunt ...

dd
Old 01-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Benelli or Browning ??

Hands down Benelli they are oh so sweet. I
Old 01-04-2007, 09:43 PM

The Browning is a great gun. But for my money, it would be the SBEII. They are pretty ugly, to me at least, but they shoot great. I would suggest seeing if one feels better on the shoulder for you. Good luck Doc.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am a huge Browning fan.
If you compare the features of each gun without emotion ... Get the Benelli
The Browning will last forever the Benelli will last twice as long
Old 01-05-2007, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

DD
I am a fan of both. I have been shooting a Benelli Super 90 since 1995 without a hiccup, but I started out years ago on a Browning A-5 Magnum (which I still have and would never part with). I have never owned a Browning Gold, but if it is good enough for Phil Robertson (The Duck Commander), it has to be good. I personally don't think that you can go wrong either way. It comes down to a matter of gas operated vs recoil operated. I prefer recoil operated, but thats just me.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Doc I have used a Benelli SBE for turkey since 1998 or so and I had a super 90 before that. It is the older model and I really like it but have contemplated switching up to the new SBE due to the recoil abatement. My gun is a 6 pounder that really kicks so I sent it out for a forcing cone extension and laser porting. Now it shoots with a lower recoil but theMB is really bad. I haven't had a problem with the gun and tear it down at the end of the season and completely clean the action. Fastest action in the world from my experience.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:04 AM
bigcountry

For turkey, or duck, both kill and both are good. Here is the bad about the benelli. First, I would never be caught paying over 700 dollars for a workhorse shotgun. The benelli is way overpriced. Second,I find the benelli hasalot more recoil than the browning. I know DD you don't like recoil.

I got my 3.5" gold off a member here, for 600 dollars and well worth it. I hear the brownings have shot up in price too.

If both are the same price, I would be apt to believe the benelli would operate more reliably in the most inclement weather. But 95% of hunters won't hunt in that weather.

For salt water geese in freezing rain, (conditions I hunt sometimes but don't like it), I would say the benelli might be the better choice. But can't get past that price.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am a fan of both also but the SBEII would be my choice in the situation.. IN fact I've been looking at the Benelli M2 for a new turkey gun.. I just don't need 3.5 for turkey..

But go with the Benelli if they both fit and feel equal when holding them.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:54 AM

OK, I'll go against the flow here. This is my personal experience and I know others' opinions differ.

I would take the Browning Gold over the Benelli. In fact, I did. I owned a SBE Several years ago. I just had to have one. Sold a perfect Browning BLR 243 to help pay for the Benelli, dang I wish I hadn't done that. The one thing I absolutely loved about the Benelli is when it came to cleaning the gun. I don't think anyone can argue about that.

But, the gun I had would jam quite frequently. It was very well maintained/cleaned. I did not trust that gun at all. Pull up for a pair of ducks and no second shot. I hunted with others that swore by their Benelli. They said they never jammed............ Well, I hunted with them and I witnessed more than one jam. The response was always something like, "Well, I didn't clean it properly after the last hunt." Or, "I didn't have it shouldered properly."

I sold it and bought a 3 1/2" Browning Gold Stalker. It shoots everything except the Winchester and Federal bulk boxes from Walmart. I keep it well maintained also and have no problems. Since I bought mine, my brother bought a 3 1/2" Gold with MOSG camo and I bought my son a 3" Gold Stalker.

Having said that, the Benelli is absolute KING where I live. A huge percentage of waterfowl hunters where I live have Benellis and absolutely wouldn't have anything else.

So, each must decide for themself. You may want to peak in over at shotgunworld.com to read up on these guns.

One thing you may consider is just going with a 3" gun instead of the 3 1/2". Personally, I would buy a 3" Gold for myself if I had it to do over again.

Oh, one last thing. I haven't looked at prices lately, but it always really made me shake my head about the price of the Benellis. One of my friends is a diehard Auto 5 guy.He bought an Auto 5 stalker at the same time that I bought my Benelli. His was several hundred dollars cheaper. If you take them both apart and look at which one was more difficult to make (i.e. should cost more), I was amazed that the Auto 5 didn't cost 3 times more than the Benelli.

Anyway, good luck.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a Browning Gold Stalker 3" that jammed all the time. I've had a few Benelli's M1 Super 90s (still have one) and I have a Benelli M2. Both will go with no matter what you stuff in it.

Advice on cleaning a Benelli - take 'em apart, clean everything with a rag, then put back together. Run 'em dry and they will keep going and going and going....Kinda like the Energizer Bunny...

Quick Reply: Benelli or Browning ??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.