Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New gun or not decision ???

Old 01-04-2007, 07:19 AM

Default New gun or not decision ???

I was given a Steyr Model L .6mm several years ago !! It is a very nice rifle but a little too fancy for my kind of hunting !! I would rather have a more durable gun with a synthetic stock and more weather resistant finish !!

The .6mm has the 2 triggers.......the set trigger is to light and without using it the regular trigger is kinda heavy.........couple this with the gun is light and has a short barrel.........and it is hard to shoot real accurate 200+ yrds(it will do it, but you have to really try) ! It also binds up when it is shot for a breif second........makes a second shot tough(seems like a heat issue.....because the bolt works fine after a second or two).........and like I said.......walnut stocks and pretty barrels are too nice for my kind of hunting.......I am scared to death of scratching it or getting it wet !!

So I am thinking of trading it or selling it and getting a Steyr SBS , Rem. 700, or an A-bolt with a synthetic stock and moving up to a .7mm Mag or maybe just a .270 !!

What would you do ?? Keep my nice gun and get it fixed because it will be hard to ever come by one again...........or let someone who enjoys collecting guns have it and me get more of a "meat and potatoes" kind of gun for myself !!!

I guess I am asking if it would be stupid to get rid of ?? But I can't afforda new one set up like I want........so I have to trade !!

Btw.......the .6mm has a Zeiss Diavari 3x9x42 1" on it............I really want a Diavari 3x12x56 30mm (tried a friends).........so that's where the trading comes in........my gun a scope should be worth about the same as what one of the other guns and the scope I want........I think !!
Old 01-04-2007, 09:12 AM

Default RE: New gun or not decision ???

If it is your only rifle and you "want" something more conducive for hunting and shooting, while not having to worry about damaging it, then I would suggest you look to sell it, and buy a new rig that will fit what you want.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:26 AM

On the heals of what Red Lion said if its your only real gun you need to have one that can be used for hunting. Sounds like an exceptional guns without any real use to you. I call this a "Safe Queen". Some guys live by "Life's too short to shoot an ugly gun" and some guys live by "A gun's a tool, it should be treated like one". It's your call in the end. I won't fault a man for having great taste but it sounds like you have to decide if you can fork up the extra dough for another Steyr...or you have to trade one Steyr for another. If having two isn't an option I'd go with having one I would use and never look back.

BTW...if your current gun only presented the problem of just being "too nice" for a hunting gun I'd say HECK!!! Put some character on that thing!!! Yeah, you'll ruin its value but every mark is a story and a memory. Consider it a diary that goes BOOOM
Old 01-04-2007, 01:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Soilarch
BTW...if your current gun only presented the problem of just being "too nice" for a hunting gun I'd say HECK!!! Put some character on that thing!!! Yeah, you'll ruin its value but every mark is a story and a memory. Consider it a diary that goes BOOOM
I agree.